Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Keeping Staff Informed

Hi xD

Being fairly new to SENCO role and enjoying it immensely and now I am getting my feet in place, I thought I seek advice on this fantastic fsf. So here goes: -

when receiving reports from parents and professionals regarding children with sen and there may be action on these that are required in ordered to benefit the child, I want to know how any of you inform the key worker & staff?

Showing the report is lengthy, personal and time consuming. but would it be best to provide paperwork that is simple with what the problem is and what actions are required to help this child benefit in order to help them.

Anyone there got ideas? :( is it best down on paper or verbally to them?

Example letter from speech therapist suggest games to reinforce the SSSSSS sounds then extending to the second vowel of the word or repeating the word that may not have been said quite right.

Look forward to the advice :o

Hi

I give the reports to the child's key person to read (in setting.) The other staff have access to the child's IEP so everyone is aware of whats needed.

I agree with you some of the reports would take too long to show everyone and also there sometimes is information that doesn't need sharing.

I would prefer a verbal report and then to see a copy of the written report to put in the child's file. All staff need to be aware of the strategies being used to help the child.

In some cases we have had a nurse or occup. therapist come in to speak to us about certain children. We then are able to ask our own questions and take our own notes. I am not in every session that my key children are so it helps if all staff are privy to reports etc.

:o

Hi thanks everyone for your feedback just as Ithought and what I'll do see how it goes then if it doesn't happen then maybe I'll do a written up report to give to key person etc.

cheers to you all that has put me at ease and will certainly have to implemnt it too.

In some cases we have had a nurse or occup. therapist come in to speak to us about certain children. We then are able to ask our own questions and take our own notes. I am not in every session that my key children are so it helps if all staff are privy to reports etc.

In this case we get the visitor to fill in a 'contact sheet' which summarises who visited, what they observed and what suggestions were made. This can then easily be shared with everyone and is putinto the child's file for future reference.

Maz

On this kind of subject......we have a small handful of children who are having speech & language sessions outside the nursery...we always get a report about their session and I read this and give to keyworker to read and keep in the child's file. Would it be/ or should we be doing a 'play plan' for these children using the information from the report ?? We use the strategies given but wondering if we had our own just to show we were actually following the report.

Could you get in touch with the person running the speech and language sessions to get more information, find out about strategies used, targets set, etc. If you could do that then there would be greater consistency for the child between the two settings - multi-agency work is a great thing when it works well!

We have a little autistic boy who comes to the Centre twice a week but picks up his funded sessions at a maintained nursery a few miles down the road - I've arranged to take his key person from the Centre across to observe hime there for a session - to look at routine, strategies, how to work at targets, etc. We're really looking forward to the visit!

:o

That is really good and hope it really gives you the idea of how to support the child. all being well this should give ideas, strategies and routines to achieve the target that are required.

Good luck and enjoy it too.