Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Healthy Lunch Box Leaflet

we produced a simple brief flyer (how much of the letters we send home do parents read?) asking parents to choose healthy snacks cereal bars and fruits rather than choclates and crisps, healthy drinks such as fruit juice/squash rather than fizzy pop and to be aware of choking risks so not to put whole nuts in as a snack

we then added a few clip art pictures to jazz it up and high light healthy foods and that was it hope it helps

I know its important to educate the children and the parents but I worry about being food police at this early age if a parent chooses to send their child with choclate spread sandwiches and a packet of crisps and the child sits well and eats everything then I dont feel its my place to nag the parents over their choice of food Ive provided suggestions, we give the children fruit and milk as their mid morning snack and I assume that their lunch time meal is not the only food that child will be eating all day

We got some paper plates and lots of pictures of different food out of magazines and encouraged the children to make up their own healty lunchbox contents by sticking pictures on the plates. We talked about healthy food and why it is important. The children got to take the plates of food home and we found that we did get less fizzy drinks and more fruit in the lunchboxes.

Sally

Tess, the leaflet I told you about earlier is called "What shall I have in my lunch box today?" Healthy lunches for under 5s. It's issued by the CIS (West Sussex) Tel: 01243 777807.

Information on the back of the leaflet also has Email address - childrens.info.service@westsussex.gov.uk

and internet www.childcarelink.gov.uk www.wscc.gov.uk/surestart (I haven't tried the Email or internet though)

I don't know if you can get hold of the leaflets if you are in other areas - but you can try. I have a pile of these leaflets on our information table and they are slowly going down so parents are taking them.

Hope this helps

Sue J

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)