Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Sen Definition?

Can I please check with you lovely lot:

When is a child defined as having SEN? I know it sounds like a silly question and I feel a bit daft asking but I have been questioned at my setting as to whether a child for the Ofsted records can be defined as having SEN, he has had several ed-psych assessments, 4 visits from the local area SENCO, portage work at home and at the setting, and attends an Opp group twice a week.

I think the question is being raised as he hasn't a 'label' diagnosis, but ther is ongoing assessments and IEP,s - I thought the fact he had all of this going on and a current IEP meant he is recorded as having SEN - ??

Thanks.

Edited by Guest

Thankyou and given that it is a legal definition - it describes the child, if a child has an IEP it would indicate that their are having difficulty accessing the curriculum - 'These children may need extra or different help from that given to other children of the same age.' which he does - a portage worker at home and the setting to help.

Thanks all of you - I am still open to opinions or any information.

Edited by Guest

I would guess that the child would be on early years action plus if they are having additional support from outside agencies. It's quite possible for a child to be on the SEN register without a specific diagnosis, the gradings of Early years action, early years action plus and then statement allow for that gradual differentiation. However I know this from the maintained sector but assume the code of practice applies across the piece.

Cx

Hi. I'd like to ask who asked the question in the first place? A parent who may be feeling very worried, or maybe a staff member who hasn't accessed training? Are you the SENCO?

I work in a sessional pre-school and my opinion is this child definitely has identified SEN. It may be that because of the early intervention he or she is already getting they only need to be on an IEP for a short time and because they make significant improvement you can take them off again. Equally, you may find that despite early intervention from you and outside agencies he or she still needs additional help in which case a full Statement of SEN might be required. I am wondering if the person asking the question has not fully grasped the difference between early intervention and a full statement?

I would guess that the child would be on early years action plus if they are having additional support from outside agencies. It's quite possible for a child to be on the SEN register without a specific diagnosis, the gradings of Early years action, early years action plus and then statement allow for that gradual differentiation. However I know this from the maintained sector but assume the code of practice applies across the piece.

Cx

Yes, the code of practice and same 'gradings' apply in the PVI sector too. :o

Peggy

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)