Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Barbecues

Sue R

Hi all!

Now, I expect you're all going to start throwing things and bad hexes at me, but....... :o

I've just discovered an up-side to long-term sick!

When you have a husband on shifts, there's NO LIMIT to the number of barbies you can have :( - except the boredom factor, I suppose? :(

Sue xD:D

Shame that I'm at home and hubby isn't on shifts and will be too tired after his journey home from central London to do anything other than eat what I put on the plate!

this is making me very hungry :o

My husband hates barbeques!! I love them! But we don't do them very often unless my daughters boyfriend is here and he cooks!!!

Linda

You might think that being a vegetarian we don't do the whole bbq thing but we love them too. Going back 20years all we could get in the way of 'sausages or burgers' were packets of dried stuff you added water to, tasted awful and crumbled at the sight of a bbq. Now we have a big choice and do lovely vegetable kebabs too. And, as you say Susan - hubby does the cooking. Why is it that the men do the bbqing? :o:)

Not got ours out of the dust (now maybe this weekend, the forecast is good). we alwasy have to have 2, one for teh veggie (me) and one for the carnivores (rest of family) so it alwasy involves moer work :o .

my dads will bbq in the rain, as long as he has a big brolly.

glad to see so many vegetarians. When we first came to UK about 20 yrs ago we often had to pick the meat/fish out of salads as that was the only 'close to vegetarian 'food we could get. Now everywhere we go we are catered for. Yaaahhh that's excellent.

But we are always disspointed at bbqs. All we get are half cooked vegetables and salald leaves.and yes the potato salad. Could I have some good vegetarian recipes please. then for the first time i can use my bbq- i've had it for 10 yrs. for the first time. It's still it the box. xD

:o

Can't help with the vegetarian , Leo although my sister is one so have barbecued stuffed peppers and corn on the cob is good too.

Several years ago we treated ourselves to a gas barbecue as although we felt it was cheating my hubby was becoming frustrated by the difficulties he was always having with charcoal and the wind!

We're now on number 2, can't remember why it had to be replaced but the first was Canadian made and came complete with instructions for barbecuing in the snow.

We've put it in the garage when it was really wet and if its reallly windy it can be moved around quite easily to a sheltered spot. It hardly uses any gas either, at least our cannisters seem to last ages.

I have friends who had a barbecue in their street for the millenium. :o

Must show your post to my husband, Susan! He thinks the wind and charcoal (of all kinds) have a conspiracy against him alone!! xD

I have suggested gas, but he gets all huffy and says it doesn't taste the same. How does he know?? :o

Sue :D

We were veggies for around 17 years but lapsed a couple of years ago; still feel very uncomfortable eating meat, but Steve and Jamie are avid carnivores at the moment....I'm still working on them!

16 years ago, when we were on a camping holiday in Wales, we were looking for veggie burgers for the BBQ and went into a little supermarket on the west coast somewhere. We asked for veggie burgers, and the shopkeeper asked what they were. When we said they were burgers without any meat in them, she said "You're having me on!" Aaaah how times have changed :D

My mum always used to say, "Go on, have a sausage, there's hardly any meat in them...."

Priceless!

I have a veggie friend who's mum always says "Just a little bit of chicken, no one's looking and it isn't an animal!" :o Sweet!

BTW Helen, was looking at Fiddlesticks website the other day - great!!

Nursery looks good , too xD

Another totally unrelated thought - :o

If Steve's member no 1, and you're member number no 4, who're 2 and 3?

Jamie and Annie?? Do they test drive the stuff? xD:(

Love you really,

Leo,

Things have changed so much for veggies. I remember the days when if you went out for a meal the veggie option was omlette or salad. Then - excitement - stuffed peppers!! xD Until we'd had so many stuffed peppers we wanted to stuff them somewhere the chefs never intended. :(:( We are a family of 6 veggies and live in rural Aberdeenshire. There are 5 other houses nearby and 2 are also vegetarian households. I think the local farmers view us all with bewilderment. :o:D

I'm afraid we don't do anything exciting - just veggie sausages, burgers and kebabs. Sorry! :(

same here. I rememebr the omelette and cheese salad days too. being the only veggie in my family, my dad always reckoned id 'grow out of it' We dont see stuffed peppers on the menus here too often, more likely veggie lasagne or thai green curry.

my daughter became a carnivore when we lived in africa- I had to make do with rice and cabbage for 6 months of the year (yes, EVERY day). Guess thats why I started growing my own. :o

Mundia,

What you said about your dad made me laugh because my dad said the same thing. :) Sometimes he would get a bit of meat on his fork and say 'Why don't you have a bit? You know you want to really and no ones looking.' :oxD

If you look at the member list no. 2 and 3 are Steve_e and Jamie. Member no. 5 is wossname. None of these have made any posts - strange. :o I think Steve clearly has a split personality. xD

Barbecued courgettes - absolutely scrummy.

Cook your pitta bread on the barbecue (and then put loads of courgettes inside it, together with barbecued tomatoes and mushrooms). Totally scrummy.

No, not vegetarian, but I like to give my children a lot of variety. They will make their own choices eventually. Sometimes we don't have meat for a week, or so. Just chance, really. Not any great plan, but it does make them more tolerant of others with dietary restrictions. Plus we all really like vegetables. Why is it said that children hate sprouts and cabbage (not so here)? I am trying to teach them to like spinach and okra (two of my most favourites), and am getting there slowly.

No-one will eat vegeburgers/vegesausages. Mind you, they are not too keen on beef burgers or pork sausages, either. Nor me!

Diane.