Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Tax Return !

hi, I work as a registered childminder as well as at a pre school. I am just filling in the dreaded tax return for self employment. I am never sure if there is anything specific to work on as regards expenses. I make deductions for wear and tear (10% of total income) and for council tax, water rates, heat & light etc. but it is all a bit haphazard. For general expenses I include new equipment, reg. fees, anything I've had to replace due to childminding. Does anyone make deductions for use of car?

My local tax office couldnt help either. I would be interested to know what other people do.

thank you

Sandie

Sandie my accountant asks me to keep all receipts for my car. I log down the number of miles that I use the car for pre-school shopping, visits to library.In your case I think you could claim for outings that you provide. You can claim this proportion of your total mileage for the running costs of your car. Also the same applies to telephone charges landline and mobile. Claim for anything that you do,use or spend because you have to provide items for the minded children. You must keep all receipts.If you need any more help please ask.

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks Hali & Bubblejack for your help. The early years people were no help but I have now got some guidelines from the NCMA. I suppose I'd better start filling the dreaded thing in now!

Sandie :o

• 1 year later...

I am a registered childminder and I too hate doing my accounts UNTIL I fould this fantastic mider who has written an Excel package that does your accounts so easily

I save all my receips in plastic wallets for each month in the year and then at the end of the year I enter it all onto the computer - she does suggest doing it monthly and that is this year's resolution!

Search Lisa's childminding accounts on Google - it costs about £15 (tax deductable)

Have fun.

• 2 weeks later...

I was going to say are you a member of NCMA they give you ideas on what percentages you can claim for what in their handbook. There are loads of things you should include - including milage, cleaning materials, food, etc.

Good Luck

• 4 years later...

My hours are 8 hours per week, can i use the 10% reduction for this for my tax return or am i not allowed to deduct anything as im working less than 10 hours????? How do you stand on contract mobiles where calls and text are in my allowance and dont show a cost?

My hours are 8 hours per week, can i use the 10% reduction for this for my tax return or am i not allowed to deduct anything as im working less than 10 hours????? How do you stand on contract mobiles where calls and text are in my allowance and dont show a cost?

Im soooooooooooooooooooo confused !

From my understanding its a percentage for example 40 hours or more 10% 20 hours is 5% so that would mean you could claim 2.5% would it be worth it? wear and tear is 10% . I think you should ring the tax office just to double check. sorry cant help with the mobile but assume you may be able to claim a % I don't bother as all calls and texts are free and I rarely use it for busisness side.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)