Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Jehovah's Witness

Hi all wondered if anyone familiar with Jehovah witness in a pre-school.

Just if anyone can sum up what they do and if you make any adaptions? Was it done by talking with the parents to find out their choice and preferance....

Hi all wondered if anyone familiar with Jehovah witness in a pre-school.

Just if anyone can sum up what they do and if you make any adaptions? Was it done by talking with the parents to find out their choice and preferance....

I vaguely remember a discussion about this somewhere, hairymaclary. Have you tried a search of the forum posts?

Otherwise, I'm sure someone will come along with some useful advice!

Maz

About 2 years ago we had 2 little girls (cousins) who were Jehovah witness. We spoke to parents and they were happy for the girls to join in with whatever we were doing....i.e christmas, easter, birthdays, but asked if they made cards that they were left without wording on(does that make sense???). The girls also knew not to sing "happy birthday' and never attended Christmas partys....this was parents wishes.

If we had anything coming up I wasn't sure about I would phone and run it past parents, this was an agreemetn that worked well with us.

I think a chat with the parents is th best approach. Some Jehovah's witnesses are happy for the children to be around when things associated with Christmas etc are being done but some are very strict and want the child removed during any singing of happy birthday and the making of any cards for any festivals, or practising of any plays or nativities ask the parents then you know where they stand and I am sure they will be grateful that you asked rather than assumed.

There was definitly a discussion about this a while ago, and its rather topical now too. Did you see on the news this morning of the mother who died after giving birth to twins? She refused a blood transfusion. :o

Hi

I agree with all of the above. We currently have a girl who is a JW - her brother attended last year. Parents were very good and did not expect any special treatment. Like Mrsb when we did festival cards there was no greeting written in the card.

Children do not attend Christmas parties nor to they sing happy b'day etc. We ask whoever picks them up on the day if they can have a sweet brought in by the birthday child.

As always, when in doubt, as the parents. I'm sure they would be happyto discuss.

:o

We've had various JW families over the years.All are different in their approach to their faith.Our last family was very strict but very supportive of what we were doing.When there is a birthday we put a sign on the door wishing the child Happy Birthday The mother took this as a cue and arrived 15 minutes early to take her child as it was agreed celebrating was done at the end of the session.He was not allowed to attend assemblies.He didn't attend the last 2 weeks of the term in December and the family always missed the last week of the school year for summer holidays.We had a magician in early December and mum would only let him attend if she came to so she could remove him if needed.I remember for Chinese New Year she asked the elders if it was ok for him to take part- he was as the elders said it was mythical rather than religious.

A previous family was more relaxed and allowed their child to be present for assemblies and birthdays and take a sweet for a birthday.When it was her birthday the day itself was ignored but 2 weeks later she brought sweets for her friends and she also had a friendship party and the invites said no presents were required.

Your family will welcome your approach to ensure their beliefs are recognised in your setting.