Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Nursery Transition Evidence

Hi everyone,

I wonder if someone could give me some advice please. :o

One of our feeder Nurseries has contacted me with regards to transition profiles for next year. They have just been on the first Training Session for the new EYFS Document and have been told that they should not use the profile booklets which they have been using up to now. Consequently, they are in a bit of muddle as to what kind of records they need to send up to school.

We have arranged to meet after Christmas to discuss various possibilities - has anyone got any good ideas or suggestions of what they are going to be doing in their own settings.

Thanks

we just do loits of visits at different times of the day with lots of photos :o

Hi again Hali,

What do you mean, you do lots of visits at different times of the day? Are you a school based Nursery? We do not have a Nursery connected to our school - in fact we have children coming from about ten different settings. Thanks.

no we are a PVI nursery but with close links to our feeder school that probably 90% of our children move onto. So we arrange visits for assemblies, play time, lunch time and hopefully from this term times where our children can go into the reception classrooms and join in.... :o

no we are a PVI nursery but with close links to our feeder school that probably 90% of our children move onto. So we arrange visits for assemblies, play time, lunch time and hopefully from this term times where our children can go into the reception classrooms and join in.... xD

Thanks Hali,

We also have visits from our feeder Nurseries/Play Groups but not until the Summer Term. :o

What kind of transition information do you send to school with the children?

I think this will go on and on being a tricky one for some people. Some LAs (Birmingham being one) are now going down the nursery profile path which will be followed by a nursery eprofile. which links into the FSP eprofile. This is likely to be used in the maintained sector. I'm not sure whether or not it be will be used in the PVI sector, which means that other settings will still need their own.

If schools take from a number of different settings, then it means several different types of records. Plus it will still mean that children attending a day nursery until they are 3, then moving to a school nursery will still have different types of records, which defeats the object of a smooth seamless transition record.

We are hoping to get settings together in our area to agree on a transfer record but if schools use the new nursery profile it will still be a problem, and still remains unseamless. I'm not sure of the answer yet, if there is one, but i think the waters will get muddier before they get any clearer.

Hi Centurians,

If you look in the resources section, under resource library, then go to observation and assessment, you'll see the EYFS records for the six areas of learning (separate ones for girls and boys). We thought we might use these unless the LA demand anything else. :o We date alongside the development matters statements, and collect evidence in the children's individual record books, eg observations, pictures, photos, etc., dating those too, so they match up with the record sheets. xD

Thanks everyone,

I really do appreciate your suggestions. I have gone into the Resource section as suggested and downloaded the ideas - they seem great. I have been on the first EYFS training session today and spoke to our Advisor about this, and she said that this was indeed an area which needed to be looked into. For this year Nurseries can continue to use the Profile booklet. Hopefully by September 2008 they will have formulated a new one. We wait with antipation! :o

Sorry, only just read this thread as I haven't really been online for a few days :o

In our area there have been moves to start a working aprty on transition. The core group had people from a few schools & nurseries/preschools. They were given a budget to buy a few resources for transition, eg. 'Lola' packs so that they could have the same experiences in school that they were used to in preschool. We had an open meeting with a view to setting up a cluster, the first meting of which is on November 15th but unfortunately no-one from our setting is free to go on this occasion. Hopefully they'll keep us informed & we'll make the next one.

I brought some materails away from the preliminary meeting but I can't find them at the moment & this isn't going to be a good afternoon to look!! I'll check it out as soon as I can & be in touch if there's anything I think might be of interest.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)