Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Arrrgh!

Gezabel

Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaarrrrrrrrrrrrrrgggggggggggggghhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh!!!! Ooh sorry but that does feel better.

Why is it soo hard being a Mum sometimes? :( Years ago I thought it got easier as the children got older but now I think how wrong I was!

Some of you may remember when my youngest son went off to Australia for 9 months - well now I am off to Heathrow not once but twice :o

On Nov 27th my second son leaves for Australia and will be back in October 2008 and on December 4th my youngest is off to New Zealand until July 2008.

I am thrilled they are happy, confident adults and that they are able to have such wonderful opportunities but gosh it just feels tough being Mum right now xD

Oh Geraldine, uncaring little beasts arent they? I've recently started to say to my oldest (17) you wait till you're a dad, then you'll know. :o

Dont feel bad about it. Like you say they are confident young adults and thats all down to you, so really, you've only yourself to blame! xD:(

Start arranging a huge party for next year when everyones back home, it'll give you something positive to focus on while you await the arrival of the laundry. :(

No, have the party now before they come back, regain your youth before you had the worries/responsibilities of children. :o

If I had as many sons going off on travels abroad, yes I would feel like the maternal strings are getting detached, but also I would deep inside wish it was me going and not them. or me going with them.

Beware empty nest syndrome it can lead to having a new foster family, great isea reality hard work ( but worth it xD )

Geraldine, BE PROUD, they will miss you too :(

Peggy

Oh Geraldine...... How my heart bleeds for you. As the mum of two independent boys of 14 and 17, I know that I will one day also be feeling just like you do now. But it is the way it should be - you have given them your love, time and 'wings' to enable them to fly wherever they choose - they will certainly fly back and forth to their loving nest. Until they do, there must be something you have always wanted to do.....DO IT while you have the time.

On the plus side.....sounds like Christmas just got a lot more affordable :oxD

Love and positive thoughts

Sam X

Big hugs for you, Geraldine. And you can't do that next course till February (is it?) :o

Never mind, take up tap classes or something xD And have TWO parties, one now, the other when they're all back - that'll make up for the cheap Christmas, I should think :(

Sue xx

Well done to you Geraldine for nurturing such confident children. Both of my children left home at the same time time but we could only communicate by phone 16 years ago but now with the internet it is much easier.JIf I were you I'd be planning a nice holiday maybe to Australia with an add-on to New Zealand.

Thinking of you Geraldine... from the other side! Several years ago I went away for a year to do voluntary work and I can remember my mum saying several times before my flight was called "don't worry we will see you again in 10 weeks" (I was meeting them for a short holiday near where I was working for the year) I remember at the time thinking 'I'm not worried, why does she keep saying that!' but now realise it was Mum reassuring herself! Whilst I was away we did chat on the phone when possible but also re discovered letter writing (not sure if thats a girl thing!) and Mum and Dad learnt to use MSN messager! Keep busy and enjoy having some time to yourself... if its an option book yourself a holiday to meet up with them Easter or Summer..it gives you something to aim for!

Take care

Han

p.s. Don't suppose you could persuade them to take the travelling bear with them to send e mail reports home to the children at school!!!!

Thankyou for all the lovely messages :o They do make me feel perhaps I am not being silly after all!

I have 'done it' before when my youngest was away for 9 months but he has been home for over a year now and we weren't quite expecting him to go travelling so far afield again quite so soon. He is off to be with his girlfriend who is in her third year of uni and is out in New Zealand on a kind of work placement thing!

I am immensly proud of all 4 of my sons and am thrilled for them, and yes part of me wishes it was me going.

Communication whilst they are away won't be difficult with email, msn, skype and all mod cons. I am intending to keep busy and once my course starts in January I can throw myself into studying for my BA.

My eldest son lives and works in London and is just back from a work trip invoving a month in Canada and is now expeting to toddle of to America!!! Oh well that leaves one at home just waiting for him to say he is off to outer mongolia or some far flung corner of the world.

I know they will be fine and I will too and yes we plan to travel but maybe not quite to the other side of the world. THere are lots of European cities I want to visit so to fit in with work committments we are planning some weekend city breaks every few weeks xD

Once the airport departures are over I know it will be OK and then I can look forward to going back to Heathrow but to the arrivals :(

Many thanks again :(

Good on you well done have to say congratulations for giving your kids such confidence to achieve such a wonderful milestone. like they say they will always come back just like a boomerang.

• 2 months later...

:( Oh yes he knew it was there :o

He was in a tank with the sharks. He cheerfully told me 'these are the babies mum, they're called nursing sharks'

Next week he is going one stage further and going down in a metal cage to see the great whites close up!!!!!!! I just said I hope they have had breakfast and the cage is made of strong stuff! xD:(