Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Birthday Boards

Don't know about you but our birthday board is looking sad and dull.....and doesn't really get much attention from the children. We always celebrate children and adults birthdays in the setting but our birthday board doesn't have any sparkle.

I'm thinking of getting rid of it completely and doing a 'birthday book'. This will have a seperate page for each month and a picture of each child & adult who's birthday falls in that month......inc name and date of course!

Do you all have boards? or has someone already do a book?

mrsb :o

we have a birthday hat complete with candles that the birthday person gets to wear we also have a birthday frame with IT is my birthday and a photo of the birthday person we also do the traditional birthday board. I like the idea of the birthday book is a change from the normal. Have put a link in to the type of birthday hat that we bought in case any one is interested the children love it (and the staff not!!)

birthday hat

In reception last year I had a birthday hat too which the child wore all day from poundstretcher.Not got one this year as I've not found one with 4 candles ...yet :o I like the book idea and we are starting something similair with a register next week.

We have a birthday hat too, and a wooden cake which opens up to reveal smarties inside, the birthday child takes one, offers them to each of the other children, has another one, and then a card magically appears in the box. The children love it. We have a birthday board and for each bithday there is a brightly coloured balloon shape with the child's/ adult's name on, which they get to take home.

It's interesting to see what others do.

Sal

Hi Sal

Did you make your wooden birthday cake? How did you do this or if nt where did you buy it from? I recently spent ages searching for a pretend cake and the one I got was pretty boring really. We used to use the birthday hats but they got so worn and dirty we threw them away. Haven't got around to buying new ones yet!

Guest MaryEMac

This year we have made a birthday flower which is on the wallboard. The children helped to make the petals which were made using different paint techniques. In the month of their birthday their photo is put in the middle of the flower. After their birthday their photo is put on a petal. On their actual birthday they get to play with the Birthday Bear who sings 'Happy Birthday' to them.

Mary

We have a birthday jacket (waistcoat) that they wear, with the age and candles on the back, it means everyone around school wishes them happy birthsday too and makes them feel special!

This year our birthday board has the photos of the children holding a balloon with the date on it but I do know what you mean about it just being there, I like the book idea...might try that with the new January intake.

:o

We have a birthday board with pictures from an old winnie the pooh calendar and the month typed nest to it. Then we have a balloon or each month with a passport picture of the child and the date next to it. On the childs birthday they sit in an arm chair at story time, they wear a birthday hat with candles and receive a card. We sing happy birthday and the children blow out candles on a fake cake \(an old quality street tin covered in modroc) candle holders sink into modroc and if you use the tin upside down it provides strorage for candles and lighter

:o I've made the birthday book and have it completed for this November's birthdays......even if I say so myself I'm quite pleased with it.

Thanks for all your replies and ideas.

Are there any other ideas for a birthday board - and how do you do the birthday book?

I have to look up the birthdays in the register every week to check. We haven't got anything on display. The only thing we have for the children to see is a room divider that that has HAPPY BIRTHDAY banners around it and "I am 2", "I am 3" and "I am 4" cards stuck on the divider and the childrens photos under the appropriate age group. When the children reach the next milestone they move their photo over. We have a pretend birthday cake, children blow the candles out, we sing happy birthday and they have a card.

Sue J

Are there any other ideas for a birthday board - and how do you do the birthday book?

I have to look up the birthdays in the register every week to check. We haven't got anything on display. The only thing we have for the children to see is a room divider that that has HAPPY BIRTHDAY banners around it and "I am 2", "I am 3" and "I am 4" cards stuck on the divider and the childrens photos under the appropriate age group. When the children reach the next milestone they move their photo over. We have a pretend birthday cake, children blow the candles out, we sing happy birthday and they have a card.

Sue J

The birthday book was simple to make......... I downloaded a front cover saying 'Happy birthday' & The month ...both in different languages...I then made a grid with 1st, 2nd 3rd etc etc( in squares) and just made into a book. In each square if we had a birthday a photo of the child or adult with their name is placed within that square.

mrsb

• 3 months later...

Sue J

We change our Birthday board every year. So far we have had a train, each carrage for each month and childrens photos. A big cup cake and a ballon for each month with children's names and date on. This year we have a "Sea full of Birthdays". Blue backing paper and individual fish that the children have decorated themselves. The best one though was "A Quacky Birthday". A big duch holding an umbrella that was collaged by all the children, and diferent coloured blue raindrops (one for each child) with their name and date of birth on.

Hope this helps you.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)