Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Gun Play Again

Hello, me again with another question about gun play. I am looking at how best to approach my research project. I am thinking that in terms of being able to measure and collect data I need to think about policies. Are any of you willing to share whether you have an actually policy regarding gun/war/superhero/fantasy or rough and tumble play? I am hoping to put together a questionaire as well to collect information.

I came across a policy which does include this kind of play. My setting does not have a policy but since doing research in this area and reading 'We don't have guns here' my attitude has changed and we do allow this these types of play.

For now I want to know how many settings have a policy regarding this type of play and how many don't have an actual policy but do have certain "rules" that everyone follows.

Thanks

As a childminder I have to balance allowing my 5yr old son to have guns - he's got a laser thing, a spud gun and a captain Jack pirate gun, with keeping them separate from my playroom.

As an experienced mum with older teenagers I believe my son learns through his role play, but am aware that guns cause some parents, especially of precious first born babies, horror. I also don't believe they have a place in an under fives environment where all pre-school ages mix together for indoor and outdoor play.

I don't have a written policy, but it is clear in my mind that I don't allow guns near the minded children and my son understands that rule.

I also explain informally to prospective parents when they visit and as I show them around the house that my son's personal toys, including such toys as guns which I don't allow in the playroom, are kept in his bedroom.

We don't ban this sort of play and don't have an policy. However, one of our rules is that we must walk inside. Inevitably this sort of play leads to children running and chasing each other so staff are having to constantly step in to remind them of this rule. The other problem is the children who are 'shooting' have a tendency to stick their guns right into the faces of the child they are shooting, whether the child is part of the game or not. Again, its a case of staff stepping in immediately to talk to the child about their actions. :o

We don't have a policy but think perhaps we should. I don't think we should ban them and the nursery nurse says her 3year old loves gun play at home but the nursery teacher is adamant that playing with guns will lead to violence when they are older so very mixed messages.

I was college today and asked some of my friends there about policies. I asked if a parent came and asked you why you were or were not allowing gun play what we we all say. Usually most areas of concern are covered by our policies but for most of us this area is not. Surely not allowing a certain type of play should be backed up with a policy. We don't for example not allow girls to play with "girl" toys. I know the reasoning behind zero tolerance is because gun play "leads to violent behaviour and children getting hurt". I feel that this does happen but only because we let it.

Has anyone been "caught out" by a parent asking why there child is not allowed to play spiderman or war play and not had a policy to back them up?

I have now spent a lot of time with my Grandson who is three and a half. He never plays any kind of gun play or fighting play. What I ask myself is why not? Why do some children play this kind of play and why doesn't he? Is this because he is young or because he rarely watches TV? If I introduced guns I don't think he would know what they are.

Hi

Unfortunately I think its what children see on television, game consoles and there are no restriction from some parents.

We don't have a gun policy but have to say we certainly don't encourage it and some children can be a bit fierce when gunplaying even with their hands there are some children who really don't like it when they aim at them so we ask them not to play in a kind way that because its frightening other children.

I have to say that having working in a pre-school in a barracks is very hard as children are constantly playing gun play but where not encourage but were not abled to be stopped because of their ums & dad in army and at war. I have to say I am glad I left as it was a very different environment.

From what I have researched so far I think you are spot on Hairymaclary (are you from donaldsons dairy?) This type of play is very much infuenced by what children see on TV, video games and in their environment. I work near Leicester Square in London and there are many premiers there. The children are very influenced by what they see going on around them, particularly if there is a lot of excitment and "police tape" etc

I think older siblings have an influence as well, so even if your child has not been exposed to TV etc when they go to school they try to fit in and play what everyone else is playing (power rangers anyone?)

I am going to talk to parents at my setting and get there opinion as to whether they want their children to play in this way as lets face it they arrive everyday with an assortment of figures from every film, tv show and video game imaginable!!

HI thanks wendles glad you think the same!

Whatever happened to all the play the way it used to be! I never watched tv spend most of my time on my bike and playing with what toys I had!

Good idea speaking to parents and hope you get some success from it. Really do think that we should discourage gun play and encourage more of the exploration of science and more interesting things that the children are missing out on at home!

Good luck

No not from donaldson dairy but love the stories from there! My kids called me bottomly potts all covered in spots!! Ha ha ha LOL

When people say that playing with guns leads to violence when children are older, where is this information coming from.

Has research come to this conclusion or is the media and rumour to blame?

I still played army when I was 12, crawling through the fields with my friends, hiding behind bales of straw. Non of us grew up to be involved in violent crime. My children also played with guns. I still on occessions 'shoot' them.

If research, backed up with proof can say that yes gun play amongst young children leads to violence then i will think about chnaging my stance on it, but until then I will have to continue with my view that to ban it is to surpress 'boys' play.

Inthe meantime, I'm going to have a search about. Any information, for and against will be posted.

:o

When people say that playing with guns leads to violence when children are older, where is this information coming from.

Has research come to this conclusion or is the media and rumour to blame?

I still played army when I was 12, crawling through the fields with my friends, hiding behind bales of straw. Non of us grew up to be involved in violent crime. My children also played with guns. I still on occessions 'shoot' them.

If research, backed up with proof can say that yes gun play amongst young children leads to violence then i will think about chnaging my stance on it, but until then I will have to continue with my view that to ban it is to surpress 'boys' play.

Inthe meantime, I'm going to have a search about. Any information, for and against will be posted.

:o

Hi Rea,

from the research I have done and according to Penny Holland there is no evidence that backs this up. I found in a previous essay that I wrote that children were more likely to be affected by negative parenting and parents reinforcing to hit back not walk away. (I am also aware of the media saturation of aggressive role models and am not "blaming" parents)

I will be interested to read what you uncover

Wendles

Hi Wendles, I'm finding almost the same thing. Its not the gun play thats causing violence or aggresion in later life, its intolerance of the boys gun play that has the greatest bearing.

Most sites I've read so far suggest not buying toy guns, but also not banning gun play if the guns are made from other things such as lego, stikkle bricks or even toast.

These are some sites I've read, they are American, but as they have a gun culture different to Britain I'd say they are more aware of the dangers.

Jonathan Turley, professor of public interest law at George Washington University

Dr Katz, Illinois

Hi

Rhea I understand what you are saying but I think there is a diffference in what parents allow children to watch and how much they watch! I hear of 6 year old watching Resident evil I don't allow my eldest to watch this and in their early teens!!

I use to play games like you when I was a kid and in my opinion its slightly different to what they see on television and if they see it in vast ammount it becomes an everyday thing to them... too much graphic and violence ect

Rea

I have of course found many websites and have collected many books on this subject and I can't post them all here. (This is due to me using this topic for my degree research project)

I thought this website might interest you.

http://www.media-awareness.ca/english/reso...perhero_tip.cfm

I was looking forward to gettin a chance to "interview" my children and parents but we had a call from ofsted today and they are due in soon. I thought they didnt warn you anymore! I am not about rush around and change anything but I do need to tidy my desk, office space and SENCO files!!

• 1 year later...

Hi there Wendles,

I am in my final year of the foundation degree and have chosen war, weapn and superhero play as my area of study. I have found lots of information on this site around this subject; you mentioned in a previous post a policy on this type of play. Did you come across one and if so do you remember where.

I realise this post is fairly old now but it would be useful to see.

Thanks

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)