Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

New Addition To The Family

Just like to introduce you to our puppy Benjie, a chocolate brown labrador.

Hubby bought him about 3 weeks ago, as a surprise. His name is Benjie and he's 14 mths old.

He is fantastic with the children ( tends to choose to be in a different room to them though, well 4 children can be noisy!!), his manner is soooo calm, lovable and already loyal. xD He's been into preschool with me a few times and all the children, even the hesitant ones have come to adore him, asking when he is coming in next. :(

Last Sunday he became ill, shivering and hot, diarhria (spl) and wouldn't eat or drink. By the Monday he was worse and couldn't stand up, so we took him to the vet, he stayed overnight and then I got a call on Tuesday, would I allow surgery, I didn't realise until then how attached you could become to a dog, so quickly, I just wanted to be there with him, but couldn't. Anyway they opened him up and found nothing ( thought he had swallowed something although nothing showed on x-ray).

Lots of anti biotics and painkillers and he came home Wednesday wearing his lampshade shield and stiches.

He is much better now, leaping around like a puppy again, although his spacial awareness is severely hampered by his lamp shield. :rolleyes:

I learnt something new, thought dogs wearing these had ear infections :wacko: xD , I didn't realise they were to stop the dog scratching / licking other wounds.

He is so funny ( although I know we shouldn't laugh) but he bumps into door posts and furniture and eating his dinner is hilarious as his bowl gets pushed around the kitchen floor. :(

He follows hubby and I around with his sad looking eyes, as if to say "what have you done to me, get this thing off".

His recovery has been excellent, we now think it was a very expensive case of 'wind' or 'puppy colic' :o ( pet insurance isn't valid until next month :unsure: ).

Hope you like the pics. :(

Peggy

post-3604-1193400603_thumb.jpg

post-3604-1193400674_thumb.jpg

post-3604-1193400753_thumb.jpg

post-3604-1193400807_thumb.jpg

So glad Benji's Ok now - it never rains but it pours!!

Labrador's are my favourite dogs but then as an owner of a black lab I might be a bit biased!

Have much experience of said collars - and very glad to be insured. Presumably the wound is on his tummy, if so it is possible to cut the collar down a bit to stop that hilarious taking your legs from underneath you bit when they approach you from behind. It still prevents the dog from licking the wound. Obviously wouldn't recommend reducing it if it the injury were say on his paw (for anybodyelse out there).

So glad Benji's Ok now - it never rains but it pours!!

Labrador's are my favourite dogs but then as an owner of a black lab I might be a bit biased!

Have much experience of said collars - and very glad to be insured. Presumably the wound is on his tummy, if so it is possible to cut the collar down a bit to stop that hilarious taking your legs from underneath you bit when they approach you from behind. It still prevents the dog from licking the wound. Obviously wouldn't recommend reducing it if it the injury were say on his paw (for anybodyelse out there).

The pic in the dog basket shows his 'stiches'. He goes back to the vets tomorrow so will ask if we can cut it down, not sure if that will leave a sharp edge though, maybe they can just give us a smaller one. :o

He's definately become 'top dog' with all our sympathy so training will have to start again once he's better. xD

I've always loved Labradors, we used to foster them whilst they were waiting to be rehoused. Never able to commit to full time ownership until we had our new Foster family. They are such lovely family dogs.

Peggy

We had a pet Afghan once and when she was just 12 weeks old she was run over and cost us an arm and a leg in vets bills. The insurance documents were sat on the table at home waiting to be filled in once we had returned from holiday. Since then we have always made sure that all of our pets are insured! It certainly paid off when one of our dogs needed a hip replacement. :o

Hope your puppy makes a full recovery Peggy. xD

My 8 year old Lab has a habit of eating socks! He will look rather unhappy for a day or two, be rather sluggish then once he's passed the offending sock (one way or the other) he's fine.

He also has an allergy to house dust mites, had some very expensive vaccination programme but have since given up on that. he has to put up with the dust like the rest of us now. You would have thought he'd built up some immunity by now.

Just recently he was very poorly, running round the house very distressed as if his paws were hurting followed by several days of very unhappy dog, not getting up to greet anyone which is unheard of, with the saddest eyes you can imagine. They were like a window to his hurt. Took him to the vet twice, as initial treatment wasn't working quickly enough, antibotics and some kind of wormer or lice treatment. Felt like a stab in the dark along with a stab in the wallet. Very difficult for the vet to diagnose often. Pity animals cannot talk. We think it was where he had rolled in some fox mess and contracted fox mange mite in the end.

Judging by the photo, Dexter and Benji share the same taste in dog beds, mine's snoring contentedly in his now.

He is really gorgeous and I am so jealous. Dogs make such lovable companions don't they? My lovely Border Collie Tryfan died when he was twelve and it was heartbreaking- I still get upset when I think about him. He was a much loved member of our family. I would love another dog but they are a tie when we want to go away. One day I will get another one, and funnily enough a chocolate labrador was what I was thinking of. Enjoy - and great fun for your kids too.

Peggy he is lovely... glad that he is on the mend and back home. What a conicidence you posting a message about your puppy as I have just this very minute returned home from visiting my mum and Pa's beardie who recently gave birth to 8 pups.

It was fantastic to have lots of puppy cuddles and lovely to see Sorrel, the mum again after so long. I should say that Sorrel went back to her original breeder to be mated and have her pups. The visit was tinged with sadness as my wonderful, brave mum passed away after a very short illness in May this year and it was her wish to see Sorrel have a litter. Mum would have been so proud...

Anyway, here's a couple of photos and if you want to see more check out the website. And Peggy look forward to years of fun and love with Benjie

http://www.braemoray.co.uk/801.html

post-2157-1193418184_thumb.jpg

Peggy he is lovely... glad that he is on the mend and back home. What a conicidence you posting a message about your puppy as I have just this very minute returned home from visiting my mum and Pa's beardie who recently gave birth to 8 pups.

It was fantastic to have lots of puppy cuddles and lovely to see Sorrel, the mum again after so long. I should say that Sorrel went back to her original breeder to be mated and have her pups. The visit was tinged with sadness as my wonderful, brave mum passed away after a very short illness in May this year and it was her wish to see Sorrel have a litter. Mum would have been so proud...

Anyway, here's a couple of photos and if you want to see more check out the website. And Peggy look forward to years of fun and love with Benjie

http://www.braemoray.co.uk/801.html

ooh, they are gorgeous and so cute. :( We missed the baby puppy :o stage of Benjie, and seeing all that newspaper in a sense I'm glad we did. xD

They take lots of time, hubby takes him out for 3 1 hour walks/runs a day, although the last one is in the direction of the pub :(

Peggy

ooh, they are gorgeous and so cute. :( We missed the baby puppy :o stage of Benjie, and seeing all that newspaper in a sense I'm glad we did. xD

They take lots of time, hubby takes him out for 3 1 hour walks/runs a day, although the last one is in the direction of the pub :(

Peggy

I notice you didn't ask for suggestions for doggy-dressing up for hallowe'en Peggy - wasn't he invited??

Maz

He is so lovely Peggy. :o

I'm personally a cat person but even I can see why you are attached to him already. Our local vicar had her first cat a few years ago and one day it went missing, she was really worried, almost the whole neighbourhood was in on the search. He finally turned up in the airing cupboard, warm and cosy. Afterwards she told me that she had always thought people who got upset when their pet died were a bit strange but 'losing' the cat for a day made her realise how they can quickly become part of the family. She even had a pet service a few weeks later, just like on the Vicar of Dibly. xD

I notice you didn't ask for suggestions for doggy-dressing up for hallowe'en Peggy - wasn't he invited??

Maz

Hubbys first question was "what about the dog?" meaning he can't be left on his own so maybe he won't have to go to the party. :o

Peggy

He is so lovely Peggy. :o

I'm personally a cat person but even I can see why you are attached to him already. Our local vicar had her first cat a few years ago and one day it went missing, she was really worried, almost the whole neighbourhood was in on the search. He finally turned up in the airing cupboard, warm and cosy. Afterwards she told me that she had always thought people who got upset when their pet died were a bit strange but 'losing' the cat for a day made her realise how they can quickly become part of the family. She even had a pet service a few weeks later, just like on the Vicar of Dibly. xD

I remember that episode well. :(:(:(

Peggy

Peggy, how wonderful. He looks very cute and I am sure he will be back up to full speed soon and ruling the roost ( if he doesn't already). My boys keep asking for a dog, unfortunatly we don't have the time to dedicate to one full-time. I have been thinking of offering restbite (spl?) care for guide dogs does anyone know much about that side of things?

Enjoy the fun and laughs you have with him Peggy.

Sal

Peggy, how wonderful. He looks very cute and I am sure he will be back up to full speed soon and ruling the roost ( if he doesn't already). My boys keep asking for a dog, unfortunatly we don't have the time to dedicate to one full-time. I have been thinking of offering restbite (spl?) care for guide dogs does anyone know much about that side of things?

Enjoy the fun and laughs you have with him Peggy.

Sal

We used to offer short term fostering for labradors, basically to help dogs in the transition from kennels to home environment. The dogs would be with us for a weekend, or up to a week and we would assess their temperaments etc. The labs were from a Lab rescue centre and some had obviously experienced trauma in their lives, normally due to just growing up, owners love the Andrex puppy but can't handle the 'Andrex adult' xD . We also offered holiday respite care.

I remember one dog who was so frightened of my husband it took us nearly an hour of hubby gradually, inch by inch, laying on the garden ground, slowly approaching him to enable some trust. Within a day the dog was hubbies shadow. :o

If you can do it , it is a rewarding experience to see the dogs develop trust, confidence and initial training ready to join a new family. The new family would visit the dog at our home prior to the rescue centre rehousing the dogs.

Peggy

I'm glad he's ok Peggy.I still miss my dog Toffee after 6 years who died aged 17 and top of the retirement list is a dog.

It's funny but last night I repeated saw him lying on the settee in the corner of my eye-must be near halloween :o

He is stunning.

I love my dogs. They are better behaved than my children and dont like their music loud.

I keep trying to get a photo of my two together to put as my avatar but they don't sit still for long.

My daughter loves chocolate labs. I hope he has a speedy recovery and many happy trips down the pub.