Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Help Me

hi everyone,

We are doing shapes as our topic next term really need some ideas for activities for creative development, in KUW we are looking at shadows and silhouettes and light dark, need some activities ideas for this areas too. I am in a reception class where most children have eal need some help please!!!!

thanks alot

maariya

Hi Maariya and welcome.

For creative development apart from shape printing, I would teach a range of techniques such as bubble printiing, string printing etc and provide different shaped paper. You can make shape pictures or patterns by providing precut shapes, either all one shape or a mixture. let the children experiment by putting them together in different ways, will they tesslate etc and you could do some work on symmetry and patterns.

Look at the work of artists such as Mondrian and explore.

have fun.

Hi maariya, welcome to the forum. :o

Dance? Moving our bodies to make a shape, moving together to follow shapes drawn on the floor. Paint using shaped sponges or other objects. Walk around the school looking for certain shapes, take photos and make a big collage of what you find, look at shapes in the environment, road signs are varied, money in the home corner. Hide todays story in a shaped window like on the old playschool TV programme, or do I sound old now? :(

The Mr Men books have shaped characters.

Feely bags, guess the shape, how many flat bits, corners.

Tap a shape £5.99 from early learning centre has loads of shapes but you'll need adult support.

Add different shaped dishes to the home corner and ask for a sandwich on a round plate, square plate etc. Turn pictures of shapes around a square becomes a diamond but its still a square, a triangle with its point downwards might throw them. xD

Don't forget your junk-modelling activities too - great for helping children explore what different 3D shapes can do, how they behave, etc.

Another good KUW activity that I did with nursery children was investigating which 3D shapes could roll, slide, etc. down a ramp. I got the children to predict and then test - very good scientific skills! They then went off and found other items around the room that they could test and we talked about their shape before testing them.

Oh, and welcome to the forum from me too!

Edited by Wolfie

Hi Maariya and welcome.

For creative development apart from shape printing, I would teach a range of techniques such as bubble printiing, string printing etc and provide different shaped paper. You can make shape pictures or patterns by providing precut shapes, either all one shape or a mixture. let the children experiment by putting them together in different ways, will they tesslate etc and you could do some work on symmetry and patterns.

Look at the work of artists such as Mondrian and explore.

have fun.

thank you!!!, just looked at the mondrian painting and had a great idea!!!, will use pre-cut shapes and get them to create a picture inpsired by mondrian using a variety of precut shapes.!!!

A colleague of mine did a fantastic post office role play scenario involving shape sorting - bit like a postal sorting office but for different shapes rather than letters. She had fun making toblerone boxes into parcels using papier mache - and the children really enjoyed shape sorting all the parcels before making deliveries to various addresses round the pre-school!

Hope your planning ideas are 'shaping up'... sorry - couldn't resist!

Maz

hi everyone,

We are doing shapes as our topic next term really need some ideas for activities for creative development, in KUW we are looking at shadows and silhouettes and light dark, need some activities ideas for this areas too. I am in a reception class where most children have eal need some help please!!!!

thanks alot

maariya

We did this activity in the summer about shadows...........hopefully have attached some pictures. We draw around their shadow and then later on in the session went back to check where the shadow had moved. The children stood back in the circle. Hope this makes sense! mrsb

post-8412-1193294387_thumb.jpg

post-8412-1193294433_thumb.jpg

We had a great 'circle' day.The favourite activity has Kandinski style fruit pictures having looked at examples and spotting of circles in his work.We sliced fruit & veg and the children created designs on chopping boards.Every child's was photographed (for evidence & learning story files :o ) and stuck on a circle and has made a great display.Very sensory and interesting for a development observation.At the end of each session we created a group effort and that showed even more the development difference of the sessions

Hi and welcome to the forum. I have deleted your duplicate posts for you. :o

Have you looked on www.tes.co.uk/resources

or www.sparklebox.co.uk

I hope this helps

Suzy

We had a great 'circle' day.The favourite activity has Kandinski style fruit pictures having looked at examples and spotting of circles in his work.We sliced fruit & veg and the children created designs on chopping boards.Every child's was photographed (for evidence & learning story files :o ) and stuck on a circle and has made a great display.Very sensory and interesting for a development observation.At the end of each session we created a group effort and that showed even more the development difference of the sessions

Biccy this is just fantastic! How many children were eating the fruit/licking their fingers as they went??

Just brilliant!

Maz

That looks great......will be doing that when we get back to nursery......should think it makes a lovely colourful display.

Did I notice a few teeth marks in some of the fruit??????

• 2 weeks later...

I know it was an old post, but I found this song which I sing with my Reception class to tune of 'I'd like to teah the world to sing.' I show pictures of the shapes at the same time and it's really helped them to learn the names;

I know a shape,

It has 4 sides.

And each one is the same.

4 corners too

Oh yes, you've guessed

Square is its name.

Another shape,

Has just three sides

And corners 1,2,3

Tri - ang- le

Is its name

There are lots for you to see.

A diffeernt shape

Has just 1 edge, that cu-urves round and round,

Ci - ir -cle is its name

There are so many to be found.

Take a circle and squash in the sides, an oval you will see,

Take another, cut it in half,

A semi circle for you and for me.

Now take 4 sides,

Not all the same,

2 short and 2 long

Put them together, wha have you got?

Rectangle or oblong.

It's the shape song

That we all like to sing

Its the shape song

Square circle and ring

It's the shape song.............

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)