Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Silly Questions

Hello everyone!

I have just read some of the earlier discussions on the e profile and am beginning to panic - I can't access my foundation stage profile because it is not linked to SIMs and i have never used it before so haven't a clue what I am doing. What should i be putting into it, by when and how?

I am using professional judgment for most of evidence - I do write down some obs. Is that enough?

I don't know about foundation stage being moderated- by whom and when?

ALso what is being moderated this year- didn't understand the abbreviation's.

really sorry about my stupidity but not been in foundation stage for a number of years and it has all changed since teaching there before.

thank you

Suzy

Hi suzy

Moderation takes place by the LEA although the exact way it is done varies from LEA to LEA. I have worked in 2 and both had different ways although the LEA advisor is involved. You may be required to attend a cluster or moderation meeting or you may get a setting visit. You are usually required to identify 3 children, one higher one middle and one lower attaining and on a setting visit the moderator will observe the child and make a judgement as to whether they agree with you re profile scores.

Moderation usually takes place in spring and summer terms. 2 areas are moderated every year.

Without knowing the exact abbreviations that you refer to, those most commonly used would be to refer to the curriculum/profile areas. CLL---Communication, language and literacy, for example.

The eprofile is not supported by every LEA and you need the unique numbers to access it. I think SIMs allows the info to be transferred to the LEA in a less laborious manner. You are not required to use the profile as such but it is statutory to report the scores of the 13 scales of the profile to the LEA and there is a time scale for this but usually end of June time, that should be advised. Maybe in the assessment booklet that is issued re key stage assessment.

A range of assessment observations are usually required and it these that are moderated but as long as you can talk about the children that is also acceptable although there has been a tendency for LEAs to encourage detailed records for every child on every area, the profile handbook does not detail any such requirement.

Hope that helps a little.

Hi suzy

Moderation takes place by the LEA although the exact way it is done varies from LEA to LEA. I have worked in 2 and both had different ways although the LEA advisor is involved. You may be required to attend a cluster or moderation meeting or you may get a setting visit. You are usually required to identify 3 children, one higher one middle and one lower attaining and on a setting visit the moderator will observe the child and make a judgement as to whether they agree with you re profile scores.

Moderation usually takes place in spring and summer terms. 2 areas are moderated every year.

Without knowing the exact abbreviations that you refer to, those most commonly used would be to refer to the curriculum/profile areas. CLL---Communication, language and literacy, for example.

The eprofile is not supported by every LEA and you need the unique numbers to access it. I think SIMs allows the info to be transferred to the LEA in a less laborious manner. You are not required to use the profile as such but it is statutory to report the scores of the 13 scales of the profile to the LEA and there is a time scale for this but usually end of June time, that should be advised. Maybe in the assessment booklet that is issued re key stage assessment.

A range of assessment observations are usually required and it these that are moderated but as long as you can talk about the children that is also acceptable although there has been a tendency for LEAs to encourage detailed records for every child on every area, the profile handbook does not detail any such requirement.

Hope that helps a little.

Thank you = that helps a lot. I just need to find a way of accessing the programme which i can't get to work.

I also need to collect evidence - a file sounds like a good way of doing this.

suzy

Hi Suzy, it may help a bit if you can tell us what the problem is with the eprofile when you try to use it? have you managed to enter your pupil's details yet?

Once we know what exactly you are having trouble with, there are lots of people here who can (hopefully) come to your rescue whilst Steve is raiding his fridge!

Poor Steve,

I am getting hungry just thinking of him raiding the fridge.

My problem is that I can't enter any details and I am supposed to connect it to sims to import the students details and it doesn't want to do that. I think I will have to contact our ICT man to help me.

Failing that I will phone county after the hols, then I shall probably need help using it as i am new at this aswell.

All part of life's rich pattern... thank you everyone for your support and ideas

suzy

just been out for a thai meal with my hubby- discussing

5 most impressive things we have done

5 most influential books we have read

5 most influential places we have visited together

5 most influential men/women in our lives

5 most influential songs etc etc etc...

lovely food though- hope you are ok Steve- we were at your local thai resturant- really lovely

Hi, all you need to do is download it to begin with--which you have probably done. You need your schools dfes no which you can get from the office , then enter the pupil details ie their upn no's dates of birth etc. You dont need to do it via sims, you will only need to do that when you want to send the profile details off to the authority at the end of the year. We just made it into a microsoft works document which was simple and sent it off. I hope this is helpful for you.

Mmmmmm.......

Not sure this shouldn't be under the eProfile heading. Even so I'm a little confused by some of the comments above.

I'm sure that the CTF export from SIMS.net doesn't import correctly into eProfile because of the format of the date of birth. It also doesn't export class name. I have written a report that extracts the required data from SIMS.net. However, it is necessary to import the data output from SIMS.net into Excel to change the date format and then save that as a CSV file. This can then be imported into eProfile. It sounds complex but isn't really and doesn't take very long and it is certainly quicker than entering all of the pupil data manually. If anyone would like a copy of the report and instructions of what to do send me an email request.

The output from eProfile is in two formats - a CTF and a CSV. Both files should be sent to the LA. It shouldn't be necessary for schools to undertake any modifications of this into something required by the LA. If the LA wants to manipulate the data then that is up to them and not the school - schools have enough to do already!!

Regards

John R

We haven't even started with this yet in our area so, can someone tell what details are collected about the children?

Are their names, DOB etc. collected?

We haven't even started with this yet in our area so, can someone tell what details are collected about the children?

Are their names, DOB etc. collected?

You need Forename, Surname, Gender, Date of Birth, UPN, Class Name and Home Postcode.

Regards

John R

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)