Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Just Starting!

hi all! feeling a bit 'overwhelmed' today, as i am starting the distance learning foundation degree, and got all my coursework, assignment and student handbooks through yesterday, and feel quite scared! :o can anyone set my mind at rest? wondering if i have done the right thing! xD

Hi jellybaby. I dont have any advice about the coursework but advice in general from a tutor I had once, is to never read whats coming up in future months, it will scare you. Only read what you need to, each piece will be easier to understand when the time is right, and the class content has touched on it. Dont read next years before this weeks is done. :o

Good luck with it xD:(

Good luck, jellybaby, I'm sure you'll be fine once you stop being overwhelmed with everything! I've just started the EYPS and felt exactly the same as you after the first day! It's getting used to the way everything works and new "jargon"- as Rea says, try not to look too far into the future, just deal with what's put in front of you at the moment - take a day at a time! :o

Good luck, jellybaby, I'm sure you'll be fine once you stop being overwhelmed with everything! I've just started the EYPS and felt exactly the same as you after the first day! It's getting used to the way everything works and new "jargon"- as Rea says, try not to look too far into the future, just deal with what's put in front of you at the moment - take a day at a time! :o

Have also just started. Doing E123 and E124. In the middle of my E124 assignment, but a bit unsure myself. Will mail to the tutor to check thru that l am on the right traack.

Sound advise already. It's like anything new it all seems a bit daunting then before you know it, it becomes more understandable.

If you are doing the FD with the OU, I would recommend reading the assessment guide and referring back to it frequently as you study. When it comes to doing your assignment, I find it best to start at the beginning, don't worry if it doesn't all make sense it will become clearer as you work your way through each part. Do what you can for each part, then move onto the next. You can always go back and edit it later on. I often move things around from part to part.

In my experience you are not alone, most people I come into contact with are in the same boat and the same level of panic! Take a deep breath and proceed at your pace.

Hi Jelly Baby

i have just completed my FD with the OU although at times the work was hard it is attainable I managed to complete the course with a very heavy workload it is jus a case of having to organise your time and not leave things until the last minute (which can be my downfall). My best piece of advice to you would be to access the first class conferences they are excellent and between those and the excellent people on her (especially Geraldine) you can always find someone to give advice and support. Lots of luck with the course it is well worth the work. If I can be of any help give me a shout

I think it is 100% perfectly 'normal' to feel apprehensive/scared about studying. I had many times of 'panic' and feelings of 'what have i done' or 'I can't do this' . HIndsight is wonderful and the reality is that by taking it all one step at a time and not trying to run before you can walk it all takes shape, makes sense and writing the assignments becomes easier. Like lots of things I think the first one is always the toughest but it is a learning curve and you will get to find your style of writing and what the tutors are looking for.

The advice to read the OU assessment guide is excellent advice well worth following. The OU materials are excellent and as long as you make sure to include what they are asking for you will be fine. It is well worth going back over the assessment guide when you have written your assignment - use it like a tick list really! I used to make my own lists and called them my 'Have I?' lists. I then read my assignment before posting and ticked the list to check I had included the points required.

I also echo the recommendation to use firstclass - I could not have got through my four years of study without it!

Good luck I am sure you will be absolutely fine :o and hope you find it reassuring to know you are not alone and how you feel now is just how I felt when my first lot of material arrived and here I am done and dusted with the FD completed. The result of my studying is that I am continuing to BA in Early Years with the OU and I know that in January when my course materials arrive I will again be feeling 'arrghhh!' but I know too that it will pass and things will settle down.

Hi Jellybaby.

I'm also studying at home, I'm doing my Diploma inn Pre-school Practise.

It's definetly good advise to only read the unit you are working on. You will find lots of good advise on here. Good luck with it all.

Sally

hey thanks guys for all your great advice! :o feeling a bit better about things now, just really want to get started on first part, have to start a portfolio on 'personal and professional development' which i have up to next april to complete, then until february for an assignment on'confident children, confident learners', i'm sure it will work out! xD

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)