Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Yes!planning

SORRY BUT IT'S THAT OLD CHESTNUT AGAIN...PLANNING xD:( AS I HAVE BEEN READING THROUGH THE MANY POSTS ON THIS TOPIC I'M NOW BEGINNING TO DOUBT MY PLANNING REALLY EXISTS.

I THINK MY WEEKLY PLAN IS OK BUT MEDIUM AND LONG TERM .......WHO KNOWS! :o

THIS HAS NEVER BEEN MY STRONGEST POINT AND STILL FEEL IT ISN'T CORRECT, SO MANY OF YOU SEEM TO HAVE HIT IT ON THE HEAD.

SO I CAN GET IT STRAIGHT IN MY MIND & ON PAPER COULD YOU EXLAIN TO ME AND SHOW ME SAMPLES OF EACH PLEASE....AT THE MOMENT MY MEDIUM TERM IS SHEETS OF PAPER IN EACH AREA OF THE NURSERY (HOME CORNER, BOOK CORNER, MARK MAKING ETC) GIVING INFO ON WHAT THE ADULTS ROLE IS, WHAT CAN BE ADDED TO ENHANCE THE CHILDRENS' LEARNING....MY LONG TERM IS DATES FOR THE YEAR WITH SPECIAL EVENTS/CELEBRATIONS.

HELP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :(

Hi

I've been trying to get my head around planning since I started my DPP last year. I haven't been involved in the planning at my setting but that is about to change as I have just been promoted from volunteer to member of staff. The problem I found is that everyone has their own way of doing it and I don't think there is a right or wrong way. I have been really interested in the posts on here about planning for children's interests and the child initiated planning. My setting is very much topic based which I find is quite restricting - who can run 'triangles' for a whole week and keep the kids attention? I'm hoping to have some input now that I am a staff member but I think I may have to take it slowly as I don't know if my setting is ready for child led planning yet!

I've attached a copy of the plan I did for myself as part of my course work. I have tried to concentrate on areas of learning and opportunities/experiences rather than get bogged down in the topic thing. My course tutor wants a 4 week plan with 2 activities per week covering all areas. She also thinks that topic based planning is best. I felt it would be better to focus on areas of learning/development and let the activities follow from that. Obviously there needs to be lots of flexibility to allow for children's own discoveries.

Don't know if this plan is any good. Hope it's not too bad as I submitted it with my assignment last week.

Sally

MTP_2.xls

Basically my long term plans tells us what trips we are hoping to go on throughout the year, a rough idea of topics but these do change. What visitors we are hoping to get in, festivals, etc...

My medium term plan is completed once every 2 weeks, we sit down together all staff and come up with ideas for the planning for the next 2 weeks divided up into different areas of learning. i then take this home and put it on to a short term plan.

Hope this makes sense!!!

Its a long time since I planned, but I was more of the opinion that any planning needed to reflect where the children were, where they needed to go next and how I was going to get them there, rather than how many times a term we would look at PSE, KUW, etc. So if all my children could count and recognise 1,2 the next weeks focus would be to move them onto 3 and maybe 4.

My long term plan showed a rough idea of the way the year was to go, visits, outings, festivals etc.

My medium covered each half term and showed how each area was to be covered based on the topics we used to do and the resources needed. When we stopped topics the medium term was binned, except for rough ideas linked to resources or visitors etc. based on what we'd seen that week and planning was a abit more retrospective.

The weekly plan told which equipment was needed each day while allowing for things to change. This plan was really just so I knew the toys and equipment were rotated so we didnt get to the end of the year and be surprised at what was lurcking in the back of the cupboard. The weekly plan also showed which activities were the focus. An activity sheet was done for each focus.

None of it was set in stone though. It all depended on the children, even when we were doing topics I would change things if I felt they werent working for either the children or the staff. And that included the planning layouts.

Its a long time since I planned, but I was more of the opinion that any planning needed to reflect where the children were, where they needed to go next and how I was going to get them there, rather than how many times a term we would look at PSE, KUW, etc. So if all my children could count and recognise 1,2 the next weeks focus would be to move them onto 3 and maybe 4.

My long term plan showed a rough idea of the way the year was to go, visits, outings, festivals etc.

My medium covered each half term and showed how each area was to be covered based on the topics we used to do and the resources needed. When we stopped topics the medium term was binned, except for rough ideas linked to resources or visitors etc. based on what we'd seen that week and planning was a abit more retrospective.

The weekly plan told which equipment was needed each day while allowing for things to change. This plan was really just so I knew the toys and equipment were rotated so we didnt get to the end of the year and be surprised at what was lurcking in the back of the cupboard. The weekly plan also showed which activities were the focus. An activity sheet was done for each focus.

None of it was set in stone though. It all depended on the children, even when we were doing topics I would change things if I felt they werent working for either the children or the staff. And that included the planning layouts.

Thanks for you reply Rea...glad you mentioned binning medium plans since you stopped doing topics as this is something I don't have and was wondering 'should I have'!!!! my weekly sheet which I will try to attach, i feel happy with and my long term I think just needs to written down properly.....maybe in a diary for the year....special events/celebrations etc. Reading through the posts I'm wondering if it's not my planning but showing for each child what there next steps are. Of course, all staff do obs etc on post its and enter into the childs development folder but no-where does it show the child's next step on paper to enhance their own development. Think I will look closer at that over the next few days and try to get something going for net weem when we return.

many thanks.....any other advice gratefully received :o

Bumble_Bees_Nursery_weekly_planning__________Date.doc

Bumble_Bees_Nursery_weekly_planning__________Date.doc

I have seen the planning for another nursery and they plan by areas of activity - sand, construction etc. They then write in possible learning linked to ELGs but a lot of it is filled in afterwards as Rea said. Personally I think this is a much better way.

I felt that the planning we had to do for the DPP was too restrictive and had several clashes with my tutor over this but I suppose it is like learning to drive - you don't really start learning until you've passed your test and they let you loose on your own.!

Sally

Sally, I had 'major clashes' with my tutor when I did my DCE to the point were it affected my grades!!!!!!!! The tutor had no training or real knowledge on the CGFS and no matter how much I quoted from from it - she wasn't having it, all she kept saying was 'this is how I done it - I expect the same from you!!!!!!!!!!!!! She even said Birth-to-three' was just 'stuff and nonsense' and not to refer to it in our work! (it was the up and coming thing at the time)

Ohpps sorry mrsb - highjacked your post for a winge!

xxx

Glad you understood it mrsb, (and I blush at your words Sue R), like I said its a long time since I planned but i see so many people who struggle with planning when really all we need to do is plan for each childs development. And by that I dont mean every child, most will develop through what they are exposed to, but some may need help moving onto the next step, some may have a special need, some may have a specific interest. If all these are noted and planned for, the rest of the children will naturally develop. Obviously you'll still observe them to keep tabs on them but overall not every child needs reams and reams of notes, although I can see why the powers that be want it that way maybe.

I've worked with a lad today who doesnt really settle, and doesnt really speak, prefering to throw toys around but at the painting easle he's all chat, talks about his work and even praises other childrens work. Its about knowing the children you are with and planning for them. The children who are always chatty and settled will benefit from the painting anyway so they werent planned for specifically, but me'laddo was a dream. I just hope when I'm not there the paint will still be available but as I'm not staff I cant decide all things, but I do comment in the day book why I chose something.

I think the main problem with this kind of planning is that we all have to think more and to people who are used to planning from last years plans it can take a bit of getting used to. Thinking on the spot and being able to think of activities to link in naturally with a childs interests and needs can be difficult and certainly not suited to everyone, it definilty takes a more creative mind to be able to do it, but once its in place its so worth it.

Lobby Lou, I've often wondered why the NVQ's and DPP's etc arent linked to the FS and BTT. I've always thought it would make far more sense but maybe this way, whatever the inititative dolled out the training will always fit it or not in the same way. :o

I think a big flaw in the way some of the child care qualifications are tutored probably lies in the fact that the tutors have usually moved into teaching in further education following experience of working in childcare; however, we all know that what constitutes desirable practice changes at a rate of knots so their practical experiences may not always mirror the most current practice actually taking place in settings!

I know exactly what you mean louby loo. I've become quite frustrated at times I have to say I will be glad when the course ends now so I can get down to some proper learning.

Sally

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)