Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Publicity

Hi I am new to this site and was wondering if anyone can help, imanage a new nursery in a rural area and would be very grateful if anyone has any ideas on generating publicity to help build numbers as Ihave treid all i can think of it is building up but slowly. thank you so much fo your assistance with this matter.

thanks Tracey :o

Hi Tracey

Welcome, great you have your first post! Sounds like a great place, it can be hard getting numbers im in city and that can be hard enough.

Who uses your setting? Could you rent it out/lend out rooms to national childbirth trust/evening classes etc? Run first aid course for parents? It all gets people over the door, and news of your setting would be spread around.

Can you involve yourself in any commuity projects? and then get into paper that way?

What about offereing parents discounts on fees for month or so, if they get friend to register family?

Have you had any open days?

Hi I am new to this site and was wondering if anyone can help, imanage a new nursery in a rural area and would be very grateful if anyone has any ideas on generating publicity to help build numbers as Ihave treid all i can think of it is building up but slowly. thank you so much fo your assistance with this matter.

thanks Tracey :o

Welcome Tracey!

What have you tried so far? Are your details are registered with the local Children's Information Service - I only recently found out that mine weren't! Do you take part in all the local village activities - craft activities for the village show etc? Do you send photos etc of events you hold in the nursery to the local paper (inviting a local celeb or your MP might tempt a photographer to attend!). Do you leaflet drop in the local surrounding villages?

What did research of the local area throw up about the numbers of children eligible to use your setting? Where do they currently go? Are there enough to go round or do you need to widen your net to catch new custom?

Not much help, I know - more questions than answers. Good luck!

Maz

Just wanted to say hello and welcome to the forum Tracey.

Such great advice and information in the previous posts I really have nothing to add.

Just found out that my setting was not on the childrens information service either, thanks for that Maz!!

:o

Hello Tracey and welcome to the forum,

Before I decided to close my preschool I was thinking of ways to build up numbers. One idea was to have a competition through the local newspaper the winner to receive a free session once a week for a year. The competition being parents complete the phrase " A perfect preschool would offer..........."

Your LA may be able to help with sustainability grants and have lots of info re: marketing. Also look on the surestart site for more ideas.

SURESTART BUSINESS RESOURCES - MARKETING

Good luck

Peggy

Hi Tracey and welcome! I agree with everything that others have said - make the most of your local free newspapers, they are usually more than happy to come and take a photo and give you free publicity. Also, have you made friends with your local health visitor(s)? Ours took flyers round with her to give to families that she was visiting and she also came into the nursery quite a lot and so had first hand knowledge when telling parents about us - that was a really good link for all sorts of other reasons anyway.

You will find that word of mouth is very powerful but it does take time to build up unfortunately!

Good luck with everything! :o

We use local church for passing the word and have ads in local doctors surgery and dentists, that and health visitor means we have more come through the doors.

Local paper can be good..but only if you keep pushing...one local nursery constantly has a feature for making biscuits or similar activity we all do ! Another I know tried to get in for fundraising and charity work got no where!

Inge

Hi tracey,

It is difficult isn't it? Like someone else said; I am in a city and it's hard.

I think one thing we learnt was that a Parent & Child group tends to feed into it and help with numbers. Maybe it's something you could set up?

To build up numbers when we first opened.....we did leaflet dropping all around the local area, put posters in the doctors, dentists, library, school and used the free papers(actually we did this when we were open). We started of opening 3 mornings per week with 2 members of staff........nearly 3 years on we are now open Mon-Fri 9 -3 with 9 staff members. Good luck and don't give up.

I have adverts in the local doctors surgery, also befriend your health visitor, maybe go to a mother and baby weigh in or clinic with information on what your pre-school does. take your brochures, and any information you can on curriculums or the new foundation stages.invite them along personally to have a session. If you do a leaflet drop let people have a free session if they produce the leaflet..

Good luck. sell yourself and your staff on how good they are and how friendly.

Steph

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)