Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Chick Peas

Hi ,

Does anyone know if it is ok to use chick peas in sensory play. I have been told theyare poisonous. I need to get the girls in the room to do a risk assessment before the activity is set up, but am unsure if it is safe to do so.

Thank you

Rosepetal

I've had a quick look on line and can't find anything.

We use them lots of time in collage. I don't think you will have a problem.

If unsure why not ring the manufacturers on the back of the packet, they should be able to tell you.

Are you intending to use them dried? Its worth being 100% sure they are safe and I'm not sure - kidney beans are definitely toxic when dried. They need boiling and skimming several times before they are safe to eat.....

I'll try and check for you

In fact, kidney beans simply need to be boiled for once 10 minutes, it's not necessary to boil them several times.( I'm an ex-chef, and used to do this on avery regular basis )I believe chick peas to be safe, and sensible precautions should ensure no accidents........such as losing one up a nose (my friends daughter once put a tiny, tiny teapot lid up her nose and no amount of sneezing would shift it!she neded up in outpatients for it to be removed! The doctors said it was a first......a teapot lid up a nose!!)

we use chick peas they are fine :o

What - specifically to put up noses Hali? I'd have gone for the teapot lid, myself! Actually my youngest did put a tiny lego man's head up his nose once. But that's another story!

Maz

Hi Everyone,

Thanks for the replies, in answer to some of the questions, they are to be used dry. The room manager of the toddler room was using them in her activity tray for a sensory activity. I am the new manager there and as another member of staff queried them using chick peas, i said i would check out it they are safe or not. Anyway i spoke to my NDNA representative who said she is fairly sure they are safe to use under supervision, but told me to double check with the food standards agency, which i shall be doing tomorrow. I had already checked on the internet and could not really find any useful info.

Rosepetal

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)