Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Handheld Computer For Foundation Profiles

has anyone been using these, we have been told today that we are getting 4 - they take videos, photos, track all the data on them, you just put them in there own little dock and it is all down loaded onto your computer. not sure exactly what they are called but someone might know what i am talking about.

would just like to know how they are getting on with them and any tips on using them.

thank you

Hmm. The little handheld computers I would guess are standard IPAQs or similar machines. It's the software that runs on them that would be a particular product. I'd be very interested in hearing more about them when you get hold of them tiggersmiff. Or if anyone has already got something similar?

I haven't used one myself but I've been on a visit to a nursery where all the staff have one - they're amazing and all the staff thought they were great! They used them to record individual children's Learning Journeys in words and photos. I think you could even input information in your own writing, using a special pen, and then when you printed it out it was typed up! Or did I dream that.....?! :o I'm a bit technologically challenged myself!! xD

my daughters nursery use them they are called Essex trackers. her teacher reckons they are good but was experincing teething problems with them.

my daughters nursery use them they are called Essex trackers. her teacher reckons they are good but was experincing teething problems with them.

Desperately trying to think of a joke involving white stillettos here but failed dismally!

The Essex thing aside I am green with envy - how I'd love one of these!

Maz

(or should that be 'gadgetgirl'?)

we were given one of these little gadgets on a training course, two days before our computer blew up! so, it was great fun for a day,and now it sits in its dock, looking accusingly at me everytime i open the cupboard..............I shall get a new pc one day, i promise, and then you can come back out to play!

It would be really helpful to know where we can purchase some of these from. It seems a very good time saving device!! Does anyone have any further information on where to buy and cost etc...

Many thanks

Louise

you are correct it is with target tracker, will ask our ICT co-ordinator what make and where we got them for you and price!

all the other schools in our area are waiting for us to get them before they do!! so i will feed back to you everything i find out - we have to wait for the training before they will let us loose with them - can't wait!, if they are as good as they seem it will save so much time and paper.

will keep you posted

you are correct it is with target tracker, will ask our ICT co-ordinator what make and where we got them for you and price!

all the other schools in our area are waiting for us to get them before they do!! so i will feed back to you everything i find out - we have to wait for the training before they will let us loose with them - can't wait!, if they are as good as they seem it will save so much time and paper.

will keep you posted

Hi I work in cumbria and was invited to the briefing that target tracker did in our area. The product looks great just what I would use but not sure about the less IT friendly staff in my unit. Only thing holding us back at the moment is the price. In a small school we just cant afford it + the yearly subscription.

:o

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...

We use target tracker but not sure what these hand held things are cos we don't have them. Would like one though!!!!! any details would be great.

• 1 month later...

HI, I've never seen these - but we were just having one of those 'wouldn't it be great if...' conversations a few days ago, and thought a product like the ones you describe would be a life-saver...

If anyone is now using them, I'd love to hear how you're getting on as we've just been given some ICT money and are looking at how to spend it most effectively.

Thanks,

Sophie

We now have them! 4 handheld computers - lots of delays etc and the training has been hard to fit in as we are a big team and don't all work the same days but we all need to know how to use them so we have to be patient.

I used mine all over Christmas learning (playing) they are great! Fingers crossed we will be using them in the classroom in term 4 - they have all the goals on them and you can write straight onto the screen and it recognises you writing and turns it into typed format you can take photos and annotate them, record the children and it is all linked to which ever goal you observe. You can group the children and the info will be saved onto all there profiles.

Everyday the information is down loaded onto a lap top and then up loaded back to all 4 handheld computers so the information is always up to date you can see an over view so when working with a group you can instantly see there next steps and monitor and track progress. – I hope it works this well in class!!!

Will let you know how it goes.

I have no idea how much they cost sorry will ask our ICT coordinator.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Not sure if it's the same thing, but I went to a promo last week with a bloke from MSA Ltd. The gismo was a 'student documentor'. They cost £620 + VAT for a single laptop/PC use, £999 + VAT for same but with access to wireless PDA, and other options available. Looked really useful, though how long it would take to get used to using it I'm not sure.

• 3 weeks later...

Hi, I'm new to this forum!

Have been reading for last week or so whilst I was waiting for my password to come through from my LEA. I had an interview on wed and got the job - yippee! I am now a foundation stage phase leader - can't believe it! Anyway, Ive gotta make my mark and these handheld profile things sound fab, so if anyone does have any further info - prices, suppliers etc please let me know, Thanks, kelx

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)