Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

School Admission Forms

mundia

Hi there.

Has anyone else tried to simplify the guidance given out by LEAs for parents filling in their school preference admission forms?

We find that our parents (most of whom dont speak or read English) have real problems and consequently this year we have a glut of children who have been allocated schools too far away from home and whose parents have made the decision to keep them at home until a place becomes available closer.

With admissions form being sent out any time now, we are trying to put together a leaflet explaining the process in very simple. Has anyone done anything similar?

I have actually put in a formal complaint about our school admission forms.they say in great big letters across the front, 'if your child 4 by Aug,31st, they must go to school'...........................well, of course, they DON'T HAVE to go until the term following their fifth birthday, which in some cases, is almost ayear on. Parents then believe they have no choice! it makes me so cross..

I agree narnia, sadly there is a lot of pressure on parents to get their child a school place in an area like ours which has one admission date full time from go policy. What we are hoping to do is explain in very simple terms the process involved, their rights and choices, so that they don't miss out. Because there is so little pre school provision in our area, if the child doesn't go to school in September, they may well sit at home watching TV for months.

Teh huge booklet which goes weith the form in our area does nothing to simplify it....

As a pre-school we too have many EAL parents, with several languages (6 at moment) so we offer a service to them if they bring in the form we explain it and help them complete it , or the local school also does this if they go there. May take a bit of our time but for some it is the only way,

Inge

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)