Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

2 1/2 Year Olds In The Fsu

Hi there,

Our pre-school currently has 8 sessions for 3/4 year olds and 2 sessions for 2 1/2 year olds. They stay in the young sessions until they have turned 3 then move over. if they're not funded they pay the voucher rate. Next year we are moving to a shared unit with the Reception Class ( We currently operate from seperate building although are a PFSU). My question is that the School thinks it is against all laws to have 2 1/2 year old with a REception child in the same room although we know of several other PFSU's which operate in this way. Coulod you please ket me know if anyone does this and if so could you let me know the LA you are in.

Thanks in advance

Hi rjgmummy :o

I'd be surprised if it was against the law! I'm sure I've read teachers on the TES site discussing 2 yr olds in their FSU's. And what about when the EYFS is in place? BBT and FS all rolled into one?

Sorry I'm not being helpful, just had to express my surprise that something could be against the law. Its not the head having a 'we dont want any of those' moment is it? xD

Hello I am from Oxfordshire and we have just set up a partnership with our pre-school (they have moved into the school). We have children from 2 1/2 all the way up to year 1. I don't think it is against the law and Ofsted were in last week to register their new building, our early years advisors are also encouraging this practise.

Hope that helps :o

There isn't anything illegal about it as far as I know either, but I would be asking is it desirable? I would love to hear from others who may be doing this as my concern would be first about ratios, and second about ensuring quality provision across such a big age range.

If anyone is successfully doing this, do let us know how you make it work well.

Well since the EYFS guidance expressly gives the minimum staffing arrangements for this situation, it definately will not be illegal Sept '08. Kind of agree with Rea here.

Hi,

Not sure if this really helpful but I'm a support teacher for our local private provider. They have a 0-2 room and then 2-4yrs in a room. I find it very restricting as to what the children can have free access to, certain items can only be accessed as a focussed activity.

I run a FSU at school with 3 - 5yr olds. My 3 yr olds have free access to glue scissors pens etc unlike the kids at the Private provider who cant put these out because of the 2yr olds. The girls at the centre do a great job - they moved into the building which had been 'purpose built' with only two rooms by the authority. When we asked to go and look elsewhere for support/advice the LEA couldnt give us any names of similar set ups.

Personal opinion - as a foundation teacher I would be concerned if I had to share an area with 2yr olds. :o

I used to have 2 1/2 year olds in the same chuirch hall as the rising 5's, as many people still do. The scissors and other things we think are going to be a hazard arent such a problem at all. I was never concerned at anything on an age basis, only a development one, some 4 year olds know exactly how to cut hair, while most 2 1/2 cant hold the scissors. :o

I see nurseries where the children are split by age, and yes can see the point to an extent, but I do sometimes feel for the younger ones.

Hi safclass, I dont think I've said it before xD:(

As a playgroup I have children from 2 1/2 to 5 years old and it is not a problem at all. We have the scissors etc out all the time and have never had anyone hurt from them. I understand why schools like to keep children in very narrow groups but having a wide age range also brings many benefits to all the children. I always liken it to more of a family grouping which to my mind is more natural. :o

• 2 weeks later...

I agree with you Carol it is more natural and more family like.

In my pre-school we have children from 2 years (some are only just 2) to four years. This is not a problem. The older ones like to look after the younger ones. Also children all develop at diffrent rates, some of my 2 year olds are more capable than my four year olds! We also often admit siblings and it means they stay together rather than splitting them up. I did wonder in the start if the diffrent ages together would work but in reality it does, and well.

Is that just 2 year olds, or rising 3s Marion? Both are technical 2 year olds, but there is a big difference, not many just 2 year olds are potty trained, but by rising 3 quite a few are. Although in other threads it is clear not as many as we would all hope.

• 2 weeks later...
As a playgroup I have children from 2 1/2 to 5 years old and it is not a problem at all. We have the scissors etc out all the time and have never had anyone hurt from them. I understand why schools like to keep children in very narrow groups but having a wide age range also brings many benefits to all the children. I always liken it to more of a family grouping which to my mind is more natural. :o

HiBeau,

Thanks so much for your reply. The family group is exactly howwe were thnking of implementing the new Foundation Framewoerk with the Key person having a couple of 2 1/2 year olds up to Reception children. Regards

Rjgmmmy

Edited by Guest

Hello I am from Oxfordshire and we have just set up a partnership with our pre-school (they have moved into the school). We have children from 2 1/2 all the way up to year 1. I don't think it is against the law and Ofsted were in last week to register their new building, our early years advisors are also encouraging this practise.

Hope that helps :o

Hi there,

Who is your early years advisor?

Regards

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)