Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Apple Crumble

xD A member of staff brought a bagful of apples in from her apple tree. I have made apple crumble with them & it was lovely. We have been for a walk passed her house and the childrn have seen the tree so we thought it would be nice to make some with them.........I have looked around to find some individual foil tin cases but can't find them anywhere :o

What else would be suitable to use for them to take there apple crumble home in??

Have you a Chinese supermarket near you as these sometimes sell the tin foil trays, also some pound shops do them... failing that can you make one large one and then divide it into polystyrene dishes or jelly bowls (the sort we used to have at parties).

At Christmas time for our Inspire worskhop with parents we made Christmas cakes in little baked bean cans. I was wondering if you could do the same for your apple crumble with sardine tins (the rectangular ones)... problem is collecting enough but then you could bake them in the tin and send home?

I was given apples once and I took my children and my friends children blackberrying. I went to Sainsbury's, bought an apple and blackberry pie, removed its foil container, warmed it in the oven and ran to my friends with it on a plate.

I admited a week later that, having no idea what to do with the fresh fruit, I cheated. :oxD

we made apple and blackberry pies with fruit from my garden..the children really enjoyed it and the parents said the pies were wonderful.I have about a ton of cooking apples this year, not as good quality, or quantity as last year, but i think it's because the tree exhausted itself last year!! i shall prune it and see what happens next year...

I have a lovely memory of my own son coming home from playgroup with an apple and blackberry crumble he'd made - he couldn't get any further than the bottom stair, just inside the front door, before sitting down and eating it! Seems like yesterday.....

wilkinsons do them

Went to Tesco earlier but they didn't have them either.........don't have a wilkinson in my town but there is one in a nearby town, will try to get there at the weekend. thanks

Guest MaryEMac

We made baked apples today. I was observing and this is what I heard from the staff.

" These are cooking apples, No Issy don't bite it yet, it has to be cooked first. I am going to take out the middle with my apple corer. Yes, it has made a hole all the way through. Lily put it down and stop licking it. Now you are going to put some raisins in the hole. Don't eat the raisins Isabel, they are for your apple. Well the raisins will fall through if you keep picking it up,Callum." :o

At last they were ready to put in the oven and the children kept checking the timer. There was great excitement when the apples were ready. Then the moment of truth....... "I don't like this ,Mary".

It was a good morning. xD

Mary

We baked individual Christmas cakes in baked bean tins last year - would that work?

Making biscuits last week, a member of staff did all the usual warnings about not putting fingers in mouths etc. When spotted licking his fingers, one little boy said "but my hand just wobbled and fell into my mouth!"

Priceless!

Maz

We once had a library book called 'Everbody said no' based loosely on the little red hen it was about a mother planting an apple tree and tending it all year while the rest of the family had other things to do! When it came to eating the apple pie the mother ....

On a similar track I was given a present by one of our year 5 boys the other day.

When he was in Reception class with me many moons ago we planted and grew runner beans, he took his home and grew it and the next year told me all about the crop he got off of it. Apparently we sparked an interest in him, he couldn't really be bothered with reading or school work but loved gardening. The other day I was presented with a bag full of leeks, potatoes and rhubarb. His mum was the delivery lady (far too embarassing for him and not cool) but she said every year since that first one he has grown more and more produce at the end of the garden and he wanted me to have some. Made me all misty eyed to be honest! Its nice to know that some of the Early Years skills linger and may well be a big factor in what this boy does in the future. Just wanted to share.

Liz how fantastic is this?

Just goes to show what a profound impact a really good early years teacher/practitioner can have on their charges!

I hope the warm fuzzy feeling lasts a long time - and when things are getting a bit difficult you can always think of this and smile!

Maz