Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

I'm Not Really Political

I'm not really political but . . . .

did anyone see the news last night with our PM Gordon Brown talking about giving 1:1 in schools? Wow great I thought..... lower ratios coming then? I began to wonder why then is this governments 10 yr childcare strategy and the introduction of the EYFS intent on implementing a system of ratios which directly go against this line of thought? Surely, if Mr Brown saw the benefits of 1:1 within the primary settings, giving the option for higher adult : child ratios within the education/childcare system shouldn't even be on the cards? Just thought I'd throw it open for a bit of debate?!?! What about another lobby?

Remember...something in a pre-election or even pre, pre-election manifesto doesnt have to happen. I learned my lesson by believing Tony Blairs 'education, education, education'.

It will all come down to funding and if that doesnt appear then nor will any promises, suggestions or hopes.

Is it mandatory to be cynical if you work in education???

I'm not really political but . . . .

did anyone see the news last night with our PM Gordon Brown talking about giving 1:1 in schools? Wow great I thought..... lower ratios coming then? I began to wonder why then is this governments 10 yr childcare strategy and the introduction of the EYFS intent on implementing a system of ratios which directly go against this line of thought? Surely, if Mr Brown saw the benefits of 1:1 within the primary settings, giving the option for higher adult : child ratios within the education/childcare system shouldn't even be on the cards? Just thought I'd throw it open for a bit of debate?!?! What about another lobby?

the article I read stated that this 1:1 business is destined for pupils in the secondary sector - when it's far too late for most children! I have already seen posts advertised in the Yorkshire area, 1:1 tutors for state secondary schools @£22 per hour!! Can do this work after school too, poor kids, they'll turn to booze even faster now!

The latest from the Ed minister is that they would like to have more support for children in primary schools with regards to lit and maths, and they are planning to put an extra £24 million over 5 years into providing the support, but it might not mean extra staff, just to use existing teachers and classroom assistants. Sahme they dont just let the teachers that already exist, get on with their jobs rather than introduce more changes.

I knew the money would be rubbish. :o