Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Which Union?

Hi I work in a voluntary run charity preschool based in a community centre, can any of you advise on the right union for my colleagues and I to join ?? xx

Thanx

Carla Booth

Hi Carla -

Good to see you online. :o

There is also the Professional Association of Nursery Nurses (PANN) which are a part of the Professional Association of Teachers (PAT) and which are apparently the only dedicated union for this sector. You can find their website here. Hope that helps.

Guest MaryEMac

I joined GMB when I was working as a midday supervisor at school and the subs were taken straight out of my wages. When I left I stayed with them paying by direct debit.

Mary

I've never really understood the union thing (I'm ashamed to say this - the daughter of a shop steward and union convenor).

What do you perceive to be the benefits of joining a union for your average pre-school assistant (not that I'm saying we're average, of course :o

Maz

I have been with a union for 5 years (D/D from bank)

I have never used them, but I like the security from belonging.

I would hate to be sued by a parent and have no back up

Amicus Union

Hi Carla is your setting committee run? Mine is and my advise is to sign up yo a union! Committees change and they come along with different ideas...like changing stuff in contracts etc. I signed up with PANN. They are excellent, and unfortunately have had to use them a couple of times. They are always at the end of the phone should you need them.

This is really interesting - I'm taking the staff out on a little trip to the TES show on Saturday. Perhaps we should talk about whether we should join a union on the way up? It says in their contracts of employment that they have the right to join a union, but none of them have done this, so far.

Thanks for giving me food for thought - especially the bit about being sued!

Maz

PS I wonder how many pre-school practitioners belong to a union?

When I started working for the LEA 25 years ago it was a 'closed shop'.I strongly objected to being 'forced' to do anything so when they mucked up the paperwork and failed to collect subs I kept quiet and remained 'my own woman' for 23 years.

When my school came under threat of closure it seemed prudent to join a union so i chose the one with the largest number of members of staff thinking that the more union members a union had the larger the voice with the LEA-That was UNISON.

It came in handy when a child was injured while I was on outdoor play-it came to nothing but it was reassuring to know if it had I had back-up on myside!

Hiya Thanx everyone

Rachie... yes we are committee run and the last year has been extremely difficult.. committee have implemented a new business plan which is great but does lose site of the team commitment to quality care we've seen redundancies and staff upheaval. I don't really believe that we will need any help from a union, but I do think it's important to protect ourselves for any future changes.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)