Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Ideas Please

beth1

I am really struggling to find a job in the childcare sector, keep being second best. :( I keep being told by my supply agency why cannot not do some short term supply that could fit around college. I know I need to work and soon but I am wondering what to say to college, I cannot afford to do another unpaid placement. :wacko:

I am thinking of quitting college if this doesn't work, college are making hard as it is now to sell both me and the FDey at the same time especially with the constant changing of timetables (tooo late for OU this year). xD Have have been working on short term supply before the summer holidays and I enjoyed it albeit for a few weeks at a time. :(

Any ideas on what I can do, I don't really want to quit college as I enjoy it and it seems to get me interviews. :( Other option is to write some more spec letters problem is that in reailty I can only work Monday to Wednesday due to college timetables but how do I say that without being rude? :o

TIA

Beth

Now that you know what days you are available, I would suggest you write to every setting, including your C.V. which is in your location, asking for a position. Give details about your training, previous and ongoing, your ambitions for the future, once you have your degree and your commitment and enthusiasm for the early years. let them know you are available for the next employment opportunity for the days you can do.

My daughter, aged 25 yrs, only two weeks ago sent out letters. Within 4 days she had a phone call ( last wednesday) invited for an interview on the Friday, starts her new job 4 days a week in a special needs school. This school was not advertising, but were about to, so her C.V. landed on their doormat at just the right time for them and her. :o

Good luck Beth, you will get there in the end.

Peggy

Thanks Peggy, will give it a try just wish pester power would work. :o

I am feeling down though yet another no from a job interview! xD I think I may have to leave childcare altogther well as I see it its the settings fault they will loose someone with my extensive experience in the end. However I will give it a try question do you think I could put 'Are you looking for ....(some qualities) early years worker?' at the start of my letter. I have a feeling that my letters are ending up in the bin.

Beth

I was once advised never to ask a question that could be given a 'no' as an answer. Word your question so a yes is the most obvious answer.

Instead of asking 'are you looking for...' tell them you are a level 3 qualified about to start your 2nd year on the FD. You have worked in XYZ settings and enjoyed the challenges the different settings brought. You would like to be considered for an interview when they have a part time / job share vacancy and then tell them what days you are looking to do.

Loads of luck beth :o

i agree with peggy and rea.. get those letters out.. :o

how many times a week do you have to go to college????

Good question so far its going to be Thursday afternoon, Friday morning but it may be all day thursday unitl xmas. Well that if anyone would care to tell me from y2 p/t friends, ummm job centre are going to love me not! xD

So far found 5 that I could write to, however I keep sending letters out to the same setting as I won't touch my very old day nursery settings (fear of the known!)

Beth

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)