Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Childs Level Of Development

:o Does anyone have a form/sheet/booklet that they ask parents to complete prior to the child starting pre-school.

Having just been ofsted'ed we need to find out more about the child to work on as a base line assessment.

We already ask name of mum, dad, what pets, brothers, sisters, whether they need help with toilet, if they need trainer cup etc.

She wants us to find out more about the development level, i.e. can they count, what colours do they know, what things do they like to do, favourite places to visit. A space to draw a picture of themselves.

If anyone can help I would be grateful. xD

I think you have to be careful asking parents about things like this. Parents tend to have a rosier picture of their child than other people do and what appears on a baseline form may not be acurate.

I remember in the past looking at the initial form and wondering if the parents and I were talking about the same child. :o

Yes Rea, I am of the same opionion myself.

We often have parents telling us that their child can count to 20 or more and know every colour in the rainbow, but actually they don't. They can recite number parot fashion, but can't really count and don't consistently find the same colour twice.

I know that as a parent, if i was asked if my child could count at 2.5yrs old I would be worried if they couldn't because I would think that they were expected to be able to (does that make sense!) like wise with colours. Because the form was asking it I would think they should be able to do these things. xD

I shall have to think hard about the wording we use when we create these forms. :o

This past topic may be helpful to you.

Gathering Initial Information From Parents

How old are your children then - are they starting at 2 1/2? Does this actually fit with the ethos of Birth to Three? I am with Rea on this one too. Some parents have rather over inflated ideas of their child's abilities and others will begin to worry that their child isn't achieving! Perhaps if you made it more general in terms of a 'share your child's latest achievements' with us?

I agree with Beau and Rea, I use a form I found on this forum during home visits, the questions are more 'relaxed' ie : Do you think your child is at the appropriatte developmntal level? ie: language, toilet training, social skills etc ( or words to that effect). Do you have any concerns about your childs developemnt? Inevitably most every parent of a 2+ yr old says they are concerned that their child snatches, doesn't share etc :o , at this point I explain the virtues of sending them to preschool and that they are not alone, ALL 2 yr olds are like this and wouldn't be 'normal' if they weren't. xD

Peggy

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)