Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

What Bad Luck

bubblejack

I just cannot believe this. Two years ago I started my Apel (level 3) I have the pre-1989 qualification Foundation Course. I haven't had a break from child caring for 28 years, kept up to date with all issues but decided that it would be good idea. I was wondered whether to study at a higher level now i wish i had because my coursework has been lost by a tutor twice. The first time it happened I had all my work on disc so it wasn't too much of a problem. I was unable to contact the tutor for so long that I had to redo a lot of the work because I had improved the way I do certain things. After handing all the work and the 2 testimonials in I thought it had been submitted in April. On phoning my tutor she claims that she passed it on to the second assessor who has come back to her saying it was incomplete. One of the units was missing together with the two testimonials. The unit is not a problem but i didn't photo copy the testimonials. I am certain i put all work in my folder. for marking. This course has been nothing but trouble. It actually only took me a few months to do. I shall have to think what to do my Monday??????

That must be really annoying for you and you have my sympathies. Don't give up on your hard work though and make sure that you put in a complaint. They obviously need to rethink the way they handle the students work if it can go missing so easily.

I started the apel level 3 in 2004 for much the same reasons as you. I gave it up within in a few months as i got no support from my tutor, she never repllied to emails, lost things etc and when I needed a some guidance I would wait 2 weeks plus for a reply. Gave it up and followed the basic route in 4 months. If i were you i would put in a complaint if you are sure you submitted the work. We have a girll at work following the basic route and she submitted the risk assesments from work as part of her course work. The IV is refusing to accept them (10 months after they were submitted) as they need greater detail. The same IV accepted the same risk assesments in another girls profile. Ho hum.

Yes thanks for listening. No I will not give up but its so annoying because one of them has lost part of my work. Assessor 2 is on long term sick leave. Assessor 1 seems to have been on sick leave intermittently since I started the APEL. I am now thinking "Do I complain now, after all she is still my tutor untill i finish,"or do I just get on and contact the referees on Monday that did my testimonials and ask them to kindly do them again.

I was sooo cross on Friday, but am now thinking what to do about it.

Thats more than bad luck bubblejack, thats terrible. That work is your property and should be looked after as such.

I think I'd complain to the college, it's the tutor, assessor and IV's responsibilty to look after the work, not lose it willynilly. :o

Hope it goes well here on in xD

This is my nightmare scenario as a course tutor. I dread losing someone's work - its such a huge responsibility.

I can only sympathise - what a blow. I know we're only human, but it does sound as though there's something seriously wrong with the systems in place if students' work can go missing at such a rate.

I have no words of advice or comfort to offer - I hope you get this mess sorted out!

Maz

• 1 month later...

Yes it has appeared, thats good but tutor has now e-mailed me saying that she didn't lose them and I gave it to a member of her staff the other day.!!!!!!!!!

I was in the process of re-doing them so why would I do that. I am sooooo cross. Why is she doing this. Could it be that I have copied in a third party on all my e-mails and she can sense that I am going to make a formal complaint.

Hi bubble,

Sorry to have missed all this (how??) - if I were you I'd go straight for the jugular! It's absolutely unforgivable, unprofessional, inconsiderate, not to mention just plain RUDE to carry on like this! And then to lie :o

Let us know what happens, please - I'll follow carefully to make up for previous lapse.

Sue

Yes it has appeared, thats good but tutor has now e-mailed me saying that she didn't lose them and I gave it to a member of her staff the other day.!!!!!!!!!

I was in the process of re-doing them so why would I do that. I am sooooo cross. Why is she doing this. Could it be that I have copied in a third party on all my e-mails and she can sense that I am going to make a formal complaint.

Gosh - how unprofessional. If you make a mistake you should at least be big enough to admit to it. How do you deal with a situation like this? If you make a fuss and set out to prove you didn't do it you'll be seen as being petty - but this is a serious issue and one that needs to be addressed. Otherwise how you can you (and other candidates) ever be certain that your work won't go missing again?

Do you think you will make a formal complaint or are you inclined to let it go?

At least it has surfaced though!

Maz