Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Christening / Blessing Present

From a personal point of view, can I suggest what not to get??

Silver money boxes, silver booties, plates and dishes and any of the other twee stuff. I know some people set great store by mementoes and treasure them, but in my experience

it gathers dust and eventually gets packed off to the loft, tarnishes and goes to the charity shop.

What about an apple tree or look at the Oxfam web site OXFAM.

My friends always prefered clothes or money or a toy. :o

Our son was given a set of coins from the year he was born along with a newspaper from the day ...the same person bought a set of coins for his 21st too, They are proof sets but I know you can get sets which are in presentation cases for much less than they were.... Something to keep and when he looks at them show how times have changed... he now enjpoys having them

He also had the silver money boxes etc and 3 bibles...

He was also given a much used much loved tape of nursery rhymes and songs... could now be in CD form to last longer his wore out by age 5!!

Inge

How about something that is personalised - a teddy with his name on the T Shirt, for example?

There is a webiste which I THINK is called 'getting personal' - I can't check it out as my access has been denied at work, so I hope it's nothing dodgy!! The website should be a whole lot of gifts and ideas that can be personalised.... if it's not, I apologise and I'd recommend trying a search engine search for 'personalised gifts' and it should direct you to the right place. (I'll check it out when I get home and put in a link)

Later that night... getting personal is the right address (panic over!)

Edited by Running Bunny

I like to give a set of nursery rhyme finger puppets sometimes with a nursery rhyme book or sometimes in a personalised sack if its a child i will be buying future gifts for so I can add to it.

When we went to our neighbours grand-daughters blessing (didn't really know the kid!!) I went to the post office and bought her a £5 comemerative coin. Because I had left it a bit late they didin't have any presentation boxed ones left, so I wrapped it up in a gift box myself. The parents sent a letter back saying they thought it was brill and an unusual gift. :o

Just thought - for my daughters christening my sister opened a bank account for her and she puts in £5 per month, she is now 12 years old and has about £700 in it. I'm mot saying you should continue to put money in it each month, but you could for birthdays, christmas etc. xD

My grandparents bought me a bracelet as a christening present which I wear now. I always thought that was such a good idea to buy something that I could wear and appreciate in my adult years.

R

That's a lovely website thanks Laura. I like the idea of a door plaque. I bought a carved wooden one for my son when he was little and when we moved house last year he brought it with him and put it up - he's 26! The idea of a nursery rhymes cd / book is also nice. I bought a Baby Einstein cd when he was born. I will also check out the website you mentioned Running Bunny - thanks.