Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Consumables

I am not very loyal about where I buy paint paper etc and find it hard to compare like for like.Where do people find these resources to be of quality but not too expensive? we need to reduce out goings this term and this is one area that we can.Am i the only one that takes a sharp intake when i see a child use half a pot of sequines on one picture?On the other hand I do want to give the children what they need and dont want to be couning out sparkles!

There are several county purchasing organisations who publish huge catalogues and I find their prices are usually hard to beat. I use WMS (West Mercia Supplies) and ESPO (based in Glenfield, Leicester, I think it's Eastern Shires Purchasing Organisation or something like that). There's also one based in Yorkshire. All of them will have websites and you just need to register with them before you start ordering. You don't need to be in their area of the country to order.

Also, do you have any scrapstores near you? They are IDEAL for art and craft supplies and - often much more - and give incredible value for money. But you need to be able to pop in on a regular basis - the real bargains get snapped up very quickly. Again, if you Google "scrapstore" you should be able to find out if there's one near you. The Works often has packets of cheap craft supplies too, that's worth a look if you're looking for something in particular - not big quantities of paper or paint though!

Edited by Wolfie

S and S services are very good for bits and bobs of craft supplies but they aren't as cheap as the big organisations for bulk orders of things like paper, paint and glue.

Some good recommendations already, I use S & S about twice a year. I too gasp when a whole pot of sequins goes on one picture, so you are not alone on that one. I have found that if a large variety of media is available ALL the time this helps. A bit like if you live in a sweet shop you stop wanting all the sweets.

We have collected wet wipe containers and fill them with a large range of media, from small cut out bits of shiny paper, to bird seed, to sweet wrappers, ie: non / low cost, as well as commercially made items such as sequins etc. The children can explore these items without even using a drop of glue, this quenches their curiosity and then when used for 'creative expression' they tend to use them more sparingly because their features etc have already been explored. ( does that make sense!)

attached is a pic of one of our 2 yr olds exploring the containers. They are great because they have lids and buttons to press to pop the lids up. We cellotape a sample of what is inside the tub on the lid for easy recognition.

Peggy

post-3604-1189455669_thumb.jpg

Peggy, can I just say what a fab idea that is!

Thanks, it started off with the company sending me freebies for the parents but

1/ I don't agree with wiping bottoms with chemicals, whats wrong with paper :o

2/ They didn't send enough for EVERY parent so I didn't want to appear unfair and kept them for the childrens benefit. xD

Peggy

What a great idea Peggy! We used to get sent those samples as well - something to do with the PLA I think but we passed ours on to the parents as we didn't have much room to store them.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)