Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Professional Abuse Policy

hi setting up a new setting and been avised by ofsted inspector to have a professional abuse policy. Has anyone got an example i could look at. Thanks in advance. :o

Well I suppose it sort of is quite a sensible one if you think about it - not that I have one but at least it gives a few guidelines to staff on what they can do and what is acceptable practice among the staff - I suppose respecting other peoples opinions, not talking over each other, acceptable ways of talking to others etc. etc might be good in a couple of nurseries I have worked in where the staff have been so rude and treated me as though I had crawled out from under a stone! But hey perhaps someone will have one somewhere.

Nikki

I know that stone Nicola :o I've been in one setting that always refered to me and others as 'the agency' xD And I've sat in a room while staff have moaned about the fact I wasnt working a shift the following day, 'thats the trouble with agency, they dont want to work the hours'. Oops and there was me thinking I did this job for the money not the choice of hours.

So in answer to your query sophiemarie, I'd say a policy that asks people to think about how they would like to be spoken to and of before they speak themselves. Do unto others....

And could it also be about what you do if parents abuse staff - you know like the signs in the NHS waiting room when you are sorely tempted to throtte someone when you've been waiting for eight hours in A&E which tell you that abusive language, physical violence towards the staff will not be tolerated etc...

Maz

Think about exactly what you would do if a member of staff was accused. Get advice from your local area child protection committee. Talk to the member of staff, tell them there's been an accusation, ask for their version., they might not even know anything about it. Write down everything from the accuser and the accused, dated, signed by witnesses if there are any. Remove the member of staff from the setting while everything is investigated, this doesnt mean they are guilty of anything, offer as much support as possible without getting emotionaly involved, afterall, the staff member is probably a friend too. You'd have to notify ofsted and the police depending on the accusation. They would take over from there. Keep everything as confidential as possible. If the accuser turns out to be anotorious liar and the staff member was on holiday that week, remember mud sticks!

You need a policy that states how you will ensure all adults are safe to be working with children. CRB's but also, probabtionary perods, references, not being left alone, especially adult helpers or students. These checks are for the children and staffs benefit. Keep a register of staff too, it could help with accusations.

How do you ensure staff are protected from accusation? I'd leave the profession before I agreed to toilet a child with 2 members of staff present but its an area to think about.

Theres probably loads I've forgotten, but I've got to get ready for work.

Good luck with your nursery, my cousins partner opened one a while back and jumped through every sized hoop for ofsted. :oxD

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)