Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Glad To Be Back At Playgroup.

We have had a great morning back at playgroup!!! i was as excited as the children were about getting back to it!! The new starters settled in with no tears, the session was very happy and relaxed, the staff all seamed re-charged and eager to get stuck in. One staff member has really put lots of effort into her role play duties and created a fab travel agents with posters, books, labels, globes, pass ports and booking forms. This was really great to see as this is her first time of looking after this area and she has done an excellent job already.

We had lots of news about their travels and adventures and lots of happy, smiliey faces from every one, all of this on a Monday morning!! is it the calm before the storm i have to ask myself?!

How has your first morning back been?

What a great start, sounds lovely! I'm back in tomorrow and can't wait! I feel as though I've vegetated over the summer - thinking about doing so many different things and not being able to do them gets frustrating after a while! I ned to get my teeth into something again....

We started back last Thursday (30th Aug)

Thursday - Lovely, calm and peaceful (it can't be this easy can it?) (6 new starters.)

NO - Friday - tears, tears, tears, screams and inconsolable children etc. (8 new starters)

Today - two new starters, sobing and screaming, both kept setting each other off.

In my experience Lesley you are definately experiencing the calm before the storm - batten down the hatches the storm will come!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Oh how we love the little darlings :o

Back tomorrow with a staff inset training - first we've ever had. I've done a powerpoint presentation on Every Child Matters and where it all came from, in order to get the staff to think about how we promote the outcomes for our children. Then onto a discussion about changes we've made to our provision from this term. Oh, and then seeing if all the things I bought during the holidays will actually fit in the cupboard!

Am quite excited to get back - especially looking forward to seeing how the children enjoy the new lightbox. And the new dressing up clothes. And the new magnetic stuff. And the new mirrors/lenses. And some lovely new puzzles and games. Oh, and the new four sided painting easel. And the mountain of stuff I bought from the Early Learning Centre because ours was closing down......

Maz

Children back in on Wednesday! Two INSET days before we go back properly.

Dates and chats for this morning's INSET followed by our maths co-ordinator going over the maths new framework again and using it effectively.

As we have 2 new members of teaching staff this year (both NQT's - hmm I am going to be a busy mentor this year!) we had a group bonding session this afternoon, a nice chinese meal followed by bowling - I cannot bowl straight no matter how hard I try! It was a good laugh tho and we all got on really well.

Tomorrow is going to be me covering a bit of a SEN INSET on SpLD children and difficulties in maths and some resources to help and our science co-ordinator introducing new schemes of work he has purchased. Our TA's are in all day getting the school in tip top shape in the morning and then working on classrooms with their teachers in the afternoon - excellent.

As Ofsted came in January this has been the most relaxed INSET we have had for a very long time and I can't wait for term to start - ready and raring! Roll on Wednesday!

I've got a good idea Maz - get the children to work out how all the new toys can fit in the cupboard...you'll have covered your "problem solving" aspect of maths before the first week is over!! :o

First day back (after just one week summer 'holiday' !).....to be telephoned by a parent asking for a meeting, at lunchtime, to discuss her child's progress!! It actually was lovely...she wanted to tell us how wonderful we are and how pleased she is with how her child settled into the group and how she really believes in our ethos!! so, nice start.lets hope it stays that way :)

I'm glad you had a good morning. We we're suppose to have 18 children this morning, first day back but only 12 arrived, when i phone missing parents i either get answer machines or parents saying they have changed there mind and don't want the sessions now. I now have all my registers to sort out to fill the places - why do parents do this. The same thing happened this afternoon, my head is spinning. All i seem to have done all day is chase parents who haven't showed. Everything was done for the missing children, record keeping sheets, book bags, coat pegs etc..... Keyworkers assigned, groups divided up for circle times, all lists of names printed and laminated, now they are all wrong and i have to redo everything.... Oh well, maybe tomorrow will be better!!!!! I can only hope

The same used to happen to us but since we introduced a £10 booking fee it has stopped.Rather then putting their name down on every pre-school to hedge their bets!!!

If they change their mind but tell us well in advance then we return it other wise it is kept for adnmin fees.

That is just so annoying - it takes ages planning all these things and then they just dont turn up and say they have changed their mind is just wasting everyone's time. I really wish parents understood what everyone has to do -

Hi, I run a pre-school and we used to ask for a £10 registration fee but my chair told me that they were told that we could no longer ask for a deposit to hold a child's place. As we are a registered charity we are dependant on this extra money coming in. Could someone tell me if this is true please.

Hi

We used to be messed around, so introduced a £10 deposit, returnable when their child leaves. But that too was being abused, so now we charge a £10 registration Fee - payable at the time of putting the child's name down. No fee with the form, then the parents are asked - if they still don't send the fee, the form doesn't get processed, and a letter is sent explaining so. It is made clear that this is an administration fee to cover staffing time and paperwork costs involved in admissions. It is non returnable - even if the parents change their minds. The only time we would consider returning the fee is if we could not offer the child any place at all. No fee paid, and the registration form doesn't doesnt get processed. We've had NO problems at all since introducing this system 18 months ago - everyone pays and if they change their minds about a place they have lost their £10.

We too are a charitable run pre school.

Day two and things are still the same.....! I am just waiting for the storm to hit big time!!! maybe tommorrow will shatter the calmness, i'm waiting for it to arrive, it must be lurking just around the corner!!

Registration fee...depends on age children start and if they are funded when they are due to start, we are not allowed to charge any fee of any kind for a child who will be funded including regiatration fees, even if refundable. Ruling from local LEA, so in our case we ended up having to stop this charge as we got so confused as to who had to pay who didnt etc etc

Still get the no shows, 5 this morning, but we think it is due to local school having Inset day and siblings being off... we will see.

Our LEA have also introduced a funding condition that parents have to give written absence note for children when they are off for any reason.... looks like we are about to be swamped in more paper and chasing papers...where are we to store all this and how long to keep it?

Inge

BTW yes back today, lul before the storm we think!! A very quiet day.

I'm glad you had a good morning. We we're suppose to have 18 children this morning, first day back but only 12 arrived, when i phone missing parents i either get answer machines or parents saying they have changed there mind and don't want the sessions now. I now have all my registers to sort out to fill the places - why do parents do this. The same thing happened this afternoon, my head is spinning. All i seem to have done all day is chase parents who haven't showed. Everything was done for the missing children, record keeping sheets, book bags, coat pegs etc..... Keyworkers assigned, groups divided up for circle times, all lists of names printed and laminated, now they are all wrong and i have to redo everything.... Oh well, maybe tomorrow will be better!!!!! I can only hope

:o I know the minute I print off my registers, that someone will ring up and cancel a place - god it is so annoying!!!! then I have to re-do them. It doesn't take much time, its just the sheer annoyance of it all.

I also have learnt from past experiences. We do allocate the children to a keyworker. However I NEVER laminate any paperwork now until at least a week after pre-school has started and all children who should be there are. In the past I have spent so much money on redoing things that I have decided enough is enough and everything will be in plain paper form until we are sure everyone is in attendance. xD