Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Oooooo So Upset

beth1

I am really upset I had an interview last week, did well until college hours they said it was ok. I am willing to work around college this year. However I got a letter saying they could not offer me a job at the present time, reading between the lines the college hours are the problem. :(:(

I now feel that I should find another college so I can carry on studying however they have all told me that I would do better if I stayed at my present one and to send a letter/emailing them that I am losing jobs because of the hours not been told. I know its 3 weeks til enrolement so should they know roughly what is going on yet? Plus if I do go back I will state that the way we have been left bla, bla bla, on the students spoc forms. xD

I can now see why I haven't been getting job offers for nursery nurse type jobs. its not the lack of experience which now looks like a cover up to saying well really we can't give you a job because you don't know your college hours from September. :o I wouldn't care but its out of my hands all I can tell them is that I need day realse on 21 Sept and I will get a copy of my college hours then.

Now I will have to write or try to phone my tutor up trying to get an answer even prosivionally on the timetable, I can see my chances of getting a job in time becoming very slim as a direct result of this years timetabling situtaion, although in previous years they have been told what the hours are by now. :(

Rant over

From a very annoyed and upset Beth

I wouldnt try to read between the lines beth, that way lies madness. :o

If you think the college hours are the problem phone the nursery up and ask them. I know you explain to any prospective employer that you are doing the FD and will need time off but I'd really make sure they understand and if thats going to be a problem you'd rather know at the start of the interview rather than wait for a letter.

Some settings may have to juggle part time staff or have other commitments that are known so I can see their point, but equally, I'd like to think that settings are open to the idea of personal professional development. The perfect job is just out there for beth and as always, good luck. xD:(

Rea I have tried phoning up but theres no answer, however at the interview they rushed me though the questions soo quickly that I though it could be something else anyway.

I have also reviced a phone call from an interview that I had a couple of weeks ago, they have said no when asked why and after probing them, turns out to be college hours.

I have sent an email to one tutor whos on holiday and now I am waiting to hear back from the other tutor I have send an email to. I am also think that I may be best to go around all the college enrolements and try to find another sutiable course venue. As all the other colleges know what days they are doing from September, which seems odd to me.

Also I have worked out that I would need to be at college for around 28 to 30 weeks this year depending on what we get told.

Beth

Edited by beth1

I dont know how degrees work or how the FD works so I dont know how many hours you need to be in a setting for, but if you could afford to, is going full time at college an option? At 28-30 weeks it doesnt seem to leave much time for work anyway. Or how about a job share or part time position? You've probably thought about all this though. :o

There's lack of part time or job share jobs at the moment, theres only full time work going. I am getting fed up and I have sent messages to college but no answer yet, if their not careful the could end up loosing a student. :o

When I said college weeks I ment we are in college for between 28-30 weeks over the acdemeic year we also have each college hoildays which varies from 1 week to 4 weeks. This years the worst in terms of hours days i.e. 2 leactures over thursdays and Fridays but in year 3 I will only need time off on a Friday. This seems to be my sticking point I think they cannot see the woods for trees (so to speak), its only for 1 year in this Thursday/Friday mode and I am willing to work around college lectures as much as possible.

Also I could not chang to full time at the college as it would mean working longer hours at college one session on Thursdays and all day Friday and the work load would be tooo much to take on, as its not recoomended.

I will find a job, I am not giving up on my childcare career without a fight, I would hate to think that if we lost all the experienced nursery nurses that the children could suffer in the wrong hands. I have been desciibed as a passionate, caring, professional early years practitioner and as one setting put it one of a kind in the area I live.

Beth

I work full time and attend college for one evening a week. I work from 9-2 on a Tuesday (college day) and am paid from 2-6 (I normally work 9-6) because I was fortunate enough to get transformation funding to cover me. Actually, it entitles me to 1 day off per week for college, but because I attend one evening and because I work up to the latest possible time I can, work are pretty reasonable about this.

I know I have said this before Beth, but is there no way you can look into cover fund from transformation fund in your area? Might be a way around the job issues that way?

Right so far I have been left in the dark with college one on hols, other one not replied to my email and top boss phone always busy. :(

I am going to guess that it will remain the same hours as previous years, Thursday 4.00-7.15 pm will work up until 3.30pm and Friday 11.00 am - 1.00 pm and will have to work around that hours depending on where I work and how far it is, i.e. bradford jobs could do moring for 2 hours and 4 hours in afternoon, halifax/huddersfield jobs 2-6 only. :o

Well I have decieded that I have 3 options:

Option 1; try to find a job within the next 3 weeks, be willing to let the employer ring college constantly (if possible to but pressure on college xD ), and work around the college hours as much as possible.

Option 2; find job take year out and have the exact same problems in 2008

Option 3; carry on find a 2 day a week placement and work in a shop job or something simliar and carry on looking for a nursery job.

Year 2 is the bug bear because of the lectures being over 2 days and it only for one year, I get the feeling that they can see past this year. Year 3 will be a lot better off as I would only need day relise on Fridays.

Beth

I'm doing my second year FD. we're doing it over two years and tecnically we are classed as 'full time' although we only do two evenings.... I have to say we have a very flexible college- are stated hours are 3 - 9 two evening, but we have been allowed - with tutor support to condense this down to 4.30 - 8.30 one night and 4.30 - 7 the other. We have pre- arranged personal tuturials which can take place during the 'non contact hours' as it were, but we can have these at our own 'timing needs' up until 9o'c. we also have full support of the college tutor during our orignal hour if required.

When I originally started I was working full time, and although It meant long hours away from family, they are grown up and I feel I would have coped ok... however due to change of circumstances (they knocked the building down for flats!!!!) Like you I had to find a job to continue the FD.. I now work mornings only in a small very local Pre-School and I have to say I love it... having children for only 3hours a day is sooooo much more rewarding than the sometimes 10 hours a day in my old job.

The money is very good for a pre-school ---- but c*** to what I used to get paid--- but the bonus is I pay very little tax.. save on petrol I can cycle to work (never do- always seem to have to many bags) and I have a life, and time to enjoy my 'student life'

Gone of track a bit there-- anyway the thing is I can apply for a student loan as I'm a full time student.

xxx

Sounds like you've got it sussed louby loo! And like you, I got a student loan because technically we were full time students.

I need routine though - could't be doing with college hours that change even from one year to the next. Childcare wasn't a problem for me because my other half was able to work from home - but not so easy if you need to find a childminder who can be flexible.

Keep going Beth - it will be worth it in the end.

Maz

I mentored my nursery nurse and she did something like 4.45-9 twice a week which is roughly the same hours a week as Wolfie's student . Beth it might be worth checking why you are doing so many hours compared to other universities????

My college is the only one that does full and part time students in my area, plus if I'd have know about my local college long before I started the process of finding a course elsewhere I would have waited until this year to start it.

I feel that if I was told that the 2 years were going to be Thursday year 1 and Friday year 2 I would have done that way. However this year for me is the hardest for me conidering the hours which are not much Thursday evening and a 2 hour slot on the Friday plus travelling/lunch times. I was talking to my friends at college who all think that we as part time students have been left in the dark, considering that some of them are having to take the full day off or work afternoon if the can on the Friday.

Ooo I think I impressed an interviewee this week with knowing all about the different types of funding aviable in my area. Plus I feel that in my area the transformation fund and the Foundation Degree course is not well known so I think this could become a problem however I need to quickly ring up my local CIS to find out fully all the information I need to enable me to find a job.

Beth