Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

What Getting Popular........

beth1

Who me yes, well this week I have had one interview and will have 2 more this week, mainly for nursery nurse postions. :(

However I have recived a phone call from a nursery looking for nursery nurse and a nursery manger posts. xD I had a lovely chat about what I have been doing on the FDey course and working, when qualified etc, they then suggest that I should think about the nursery managers post *faints* :( I am going at the end of the week so I have until then to decided which post to go for. :o It turns out that one of the posts will be just down the road from me and only around 15 mins from college. :(

Now I need to find a nursery managers job description and person spec just to look at, to see if I can match the requirements of the post if I decided to apply for the nursery managers post. Ekkkk desions, desions, desions, think I may need to chat to my nursery manager friends if I can. :wacko:

Now I am off to do a daft thing called making a parents leaflet for the EYFS, can you tell that I am board!! xD

Beth

Guest Wolfie

Beth, you should be able to get the job description and person spec from the nursery actually advertising the positions - each nursery will ask for something slightly different in my experience so it's best to get the actual one relating to the position. Good luck! :o

Beth, you should be able to get the job description and person spec from the nursery actually advertising the positions - each nursery will ask for something slightly different in my experience so it's best to get the actual one relating to the position. Good luck! :o

I agree Wolfie (don't you love it when you're right??) - in fact any employer worth his salt will make sure you have a copy before you fill in the application form. If you don't know the exact details of what is required for the job and person specification how on earth will you know whether you fit the bill or not.

Make sure you get the job and person spec Beth - who knows what might be in the small print! But how fantastic is this: so many opportunities. I hope one of them is just what you've been looking for.

Maz

And if you get your leaflet done, take it along to the interview and show them how their group will benefit from your Foundation Degree!

Beth

With your fd study commitment perhaps a managers job would be a bit too much. That sounds a huge workload. As the nursery values a foundation degree maybe a nursery assistant would be good with possible promotion later. Just a thought.

Beth

With your fd study commitment perhaps a managers job would be a bit too much. That sounds a huge workload. As the nursery values a foundation degree maybe a nursery assistant would be good with possible promotion later. Just a thought.

...and a good thought! There were many times in the past two years when it would have been lovely to have had less responsibility at work so that I could concentrate more fully on my studies! That said, being 'in charge' does enable you to put your learning into practice more easily!

Its a matter of maintaining some balance, but I'd agree that it is important not to over commit - and to get the right amount and level of support both at work and home!

Maz

Thank you for all your comments so far. :( The mangers job turns out be around 15-20 mins away depending on traffic and is only 37.5 hours per week. xD

In one of the interviews I went to I ended up being offered a playwork magager post, not sure what to do yet. :o I was talking to someone earlier who suggested that maybe I should go for any nursery manager or other senior posts as both senior nursery jobs and playwork manager jobs are very similar and I am have great trouble gaining a nursery nurse post. :wacko:

Luckly I still live at home so I have lots of support there, I will ask the question of support at the interview. :( I am only doing the FD part time which works out at 66% of a full time equvilent course, so this translates into 2 modules per semintser for the next 2 years. xD I know that on Thursdays I will have 2 2500 words assgeinments plus Fridays work ? at the moment could possiblly be another 3000+ words. It will be fun if I ever get back in September, I think one of the 2500 words on Thursday is due on or near my weeks holiday in November, great planning not! :(

Beth

I went for the interview, had lots of fun playing with the children and made a new friend. :oxD I think I did well as expected and I will get to know sometime next week.

I have got some more interviews next week for jobs so at this rate I will be interviewed out, then its time for the new term to start if any jobs come in from any where.

Oh and I decided to turn down the playwork manager post turned out it wouldn't be worth it in terms of hours.

Beth

Didn't get the nursery manager or nursery nurse posts at the nursery. Still waiting for results for other interviews, seen 1 job in my local paper, somehow didn't see it last week. Plus I had more interview this week with a couple more later on in the week. I know I will find a job in childcare, just need to get my foot in the door.

Beth

All of last weeks jobs are no! 3 nursery manager rang and told me that for a nursery nurse post I am over experienced/qualified and I should be looking at senior job. xD So in realty I am stuck between a rock and a hard place, I will have to see what happens when I apply for senior nursery nurse jobs, propley say I am under experinced and need a nursery nurse post for longer. :(

Umm now I wonder why we lose most of the experienced staff in and around my area. :o They may have to leave childcare because of the problems I am having. :(

Beth

Guest Wolfie

To me, it seems strange for employers to state over experience and qualifications as a reason for NOT employing someone - it's not a reason that I would consider ever giving - surely that would mean that you would be BETTER at the job than some other candidates? It's up to you which jobs you want to apply for and if that's the position you want then good for you, go for it!!

Chin up Beth, your persistencve must surely pay off soon! :o

My first job when I left school was gained by my mom making me write to everyone in the yellow pages (well almost everyone) I was lucky enough to be taken on by someone who was thinking of advertising.

Have a go beth, write to everyone, send a CV, details of the FD and days you are looking to work (even voluntary?) and see what happens. Better than waiting for the newspaper every week. :o

As always, good luck xD

More news I have been contacted by a mum who wants a nanny 3 days a week near to where I live around 10 -15 minutes away. 3 children between the ages of 2 and 6 years old the older 2 are at school full time. I am going to meet them at the end of the week, she is an ex nursery nurse/nanny now working in a different job sector.

As they say ever cloud as a sliver lining.

Beth

Update, I came very close to getting a senior nursery nurse post from one of this weeks interviews. :o I missed out only because I didn't have enough baby room experience, however they would definalely want to keep my details on file if any other suitable jobs become avialabe relevant to my experiences and qualifications. xD

So I seem to be getting closer to a job - senior nursery nurse/deputy preschool manager type jobs then. :(

Beth