Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Dislay Boards

What are the display boards made f in your seting and do you thik the bigger the better?

We are severely limited in our setting because the hall we rent won't allow us any dedicated wall space for displays of children's work. Heaven forbid it should look as if a nursery meets there...

So we have a range of movable display boards: folding metal framed boards (like the ones you see at exhibitions and shows) which are great for table top displays; lighweight foam board covered in fabric up to A0 sized, and bigger MDF boards covered in fabric or display paper. I'm not good at dimensions, but they're probably 4 foot square. These all have to be packed away into the cupboard at the end of the day!

As for the best size, it all depends on what kind of display you want to make. I think variety is the spice of life - one good thing about not having dedicated display space is that you can select from a variety of shapes and sizes of display boards to suit your purpose.

As usual: lots of words, but not really very helpful..

Maz

mine are made of fibreboard (cheap, long-lasting and easy to get staples out of!)and are different sizes....................so a huge one for a general display, a large one for welcome/notices/certificates/insurance/ofsted etc and smaller ones throughout.some just wide enough to fit over doors, for freizes etc.........

Maz, we're like you have to put every thing away too.

Just wondering how do you 'display' you display boards? ~~ meaning how do you keep them up/safe. I'd like to make some bigger ones but I'm struggling as to how to make them safe -without spending a fortune on purpose-made ones. At the moment we have some lightweigh ones made from PVC tablecloths on a baton which we hang from the window frames - execellent idea but not very durable when moving each day!!!

Maz, we're like you have to put every thing away too.

Just wondering how do you 'display' you display boards? ~~ meaning how do you keep them up/safe. I'd like to make some bigger ones but I'm struggling as to how to make them safe -without spending a fortune on purpose-made ones. At the moment we have some lightweigh ones made from PVC tablecloths on a baton which we hang from the window frames - execellent idea but not very durable when moving each day!!!

Believe it or not, the mdf ones stand up at an angle against the wall! Children poke them and prod them, proudly point out their work to whoever wil listen and (touching wood frantically) one hasn't fallen on a child yet! We used to have one of those Ikea frames (the really big wooden ones with plastic 'glass' if you know what I mean) which we used as a birthday board which sat on top of the radiator. That did fall on children's heads every once in a while...

The foam board is a good alternative here - sits happily on radiators but if it does fall is feather-light so no bruised heads.

Maz

We are in a church hall as well. However we appear to be very lucky. We have been allowed to put up display boards (the church even paint them once a year for us!)

We are allowed to put up posters/pictures all over the hall and leave them up for the term. They only ask that we use the wooden half of the walls so that the blue tack doesn't bring off the paint on the upper part of the wall. They also only ask that pictures be removed at the end of the summer term so that they can paint.

We have also put up a string washing line, using hooks that were already there. This is at child height. The children love pegging their pictures on it and showing them off to their parents. Again we are allowed to leave these up, but we do make sure they have all been sent home the end of the week. We also wash the wall from where the paint has run down!!! :o

We are in a church hall as well. However we appear to be very lucky. We have been allowed to put up display boards (the church even paint them once a year for us!)

We are allowed to put up posters/pictures all over the hall and leave them up for the term. They only ask that we use the wooden half of the walls so that the blue tack doesn't bring off the paint on the upper part of the wall. They also only ask that pictures be removed at the end of the summer term so that they can paint.

We have also put up a string washing line, using hooks that were already there. This is at child height. The children love pegging their pictures on it and showing them off to their parents. Again we are allowed to leave these up, but we do make sure they have all been sent home the end of the week. We also wash the wall from where the paint has run down!!! :o

I think this is absolutely fantastic: a real case of working with, in and for the community. Am also green with envy. Hali will have a bue fit when she reads your post - just don't get her started on church halls...

Maz

We're not even in a Church Hall, we're in a Scout Hut - you'd think they'd let us have a little le-way - but no.... everthing has to come down every day!!!!

xxx

There is an upside though. When you have to set up and pack away everyday you do get used to inspecting resources each time they're used so you are always aware of issues such as whether displays need repairing etc. Very good for me because I can easily develop bad habits like not seeing stuff eventually because its just always there in the background - especially washing, ironing etc...

Maz

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)