Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Recycled Art

What a brilliant idea! Do you know how they're glued on? I can't imagine PVA doing the job...

Great way of involving parents too - collecting bottle tops in various shades. I can imagine the pester power though - "but Mum I need that bottle of coke - Nursery needs the bottle top!".

Might just put a plea in my next newsletter...

Maz

FANTASTIC !!!!!! We're planning to make a mosaic this term, with our group logo on it...........and I didn't really have much clue how to go about it, but now I've seen these ideas, i think i've found a great way!! Thankyou for the link, some great ideas there!

I saw something similar in a nursery, they had done a rainbow and a fish they looked fab. I decided to have a go and got the parents and staff collecting their lids, the only problem was that we had a lot of blue, red and green lids!! It was a good project which was enjoyed by all.

What a brilliant idea, one of my parents brought in a massive bag full of bottle tops at the end of term, unfortunately they were all red!!!! just need all the other colours now!!!

• 8 months later...

So now that time has passed ladies, its time for me to ask.

Did you do the bottle top mosaics in your groups?

If so, how did it go and what glue did you use? I have just been given two bags of bottle tops and before I ask parents to start collecting them in different colours, I really need to know what glue to use...

Thanks!

Maz

Bathroom Caulk . We've completed one (school name) and want to do another two large pictures

How was it applied Marion - could the pre-schoolers use it?

Obviously we'd have more of a free-for-all in terms of design - but I would like the children to be able to do as much of the process as possible...

I think you can get it in tubs and spread it we got the tube stuff that you need a "gun" to apply and basically covered an area and the children covered it with bottle tops. I a bit of a battle with the Y6 teacher who didn't want children involved and thought it would be better if we let him staple the tops in place. The school name is all a bit too perfect for me which is why we want to do two pictures. The plan is to get the children to do some designs and we will select two to reproduce on large boards so just waiting for the head to order the boards.

We used PVA glue-but we were just gluing onto paper. I will attach a photograph of our fish display.

Linda

We'd probably be doing that too, Linda: given that it has to live in the cupboard overnight. I must say your fish are magnificent!

Maz

I think you can get it in tubs and spread it we got the tube stuff that you need a "gun" to apply and basically covered an area and the children covered it with bottle tops.

I did have another mad idea - some of our boards are covered with fabric which we attach photos/pictures to using velcro. I wondered if I could use small bits of velcro on the backs of bottle tops so children could arrange and re-arrange the design at their leisure... :o

I LOVE this idea!!!!!!

We need a new sign for the preschool window, and what looks better than a super design made by the children. Maz, well done for asking I hadn't seen this thread before. It is fantastic. I am going to start collecting lids.

To quote Marion "I've got one bottle top so far."

In our area we have plastic bottle recycling (collected from doorstep) but you can't put the lids in for recycling??? But now I can save them, I could even have a competition to see who can collect the most. Oo oo oo to excited, must get out more!!!!

Oo oo oo to excited, must get out more!!!!

If you got out more you'd probably collect a few more bottle lids, shiny!

I might have to try a small-scale trial at home this week before I go back to work....

Maz

Just remember to ask parents to stop collecting them when you think you have enough!! We didn't and so ended up with far too many. We are going to put some out each week on our collage trolley-I think we will still be using them in about 10 years time!! :o

Linda

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)