Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Puppy Help!

Hi

I know this is nothing to do with children but at the moment i'm feeling it's worse than having a new baby. 2 weeks ago we got a puppy. Does anyone have any advice on toilet training...... he does seem to do alot of number ones and two's usually on my kitchen floor. He goes to number ones 3 times in half an hour..... i have never moped my kitchen floor so often. I'm tellling him no! taking him out and putting him on the grass after every sleep, and meal, rewarding with a treat. but as soon as he comes back in he wee's on my floor, even though he has done it on the grass Why do they go so often!!!!!! Don't get me wrong he is lovelly but i have paperwork to get on with for the pre-school and so far i haven't started... when i leave the room he whines and scratches the doors, night time he goes about 5 hours then starts whining!!!.... Does anyone have any good advice.......PLEASE!!!!!! He is 10 and a half weeks old!!! But i also need some sleep!!!!

Hi

It's been a while since I puppy trained my 8 year old labrador but I think we used to put newspaper down in the kitchen when the dog wees on it, you praise them so they know that's where they wee, use the same words ie 'clever boy' when he goes so that he knows what you mean and don't use it at any other time. Then gradually move the newspaper to the back door, so he wees there. Then take the newspaper outside.

With regard to the whining, don't give in to it or reward this unwanted behaviour with attention (much like children). Sounds a bit odd but my husband and I would make sure we couldn't be seen or heard and when the dog whined squirt it with a water pistol or throw keys at a tin tray to make a loud noise which they don't like, they then associate the water or noise with that noise and stop doing it.

Have you tried typing dog training into google to see what comes up. We had to do a lot of reading when we had our puppy despite having dogs all our life.

Hope that helps a bit. It's hard at the time but you will soon look back and think that wasn't so bad.

o

Hi Simcity

It could have been me writing that post. Had our pup for two weeks today and he is the same as yours. We use the training pads but it's hit and miss if he uses it. I do have a 15 month old dog as well and although he wasn't as bad as this pup he did have a lot of accidents.

Just carry on with what you are doing and buy lots of floor cleaner. It will get better.

I agree with Deb regarding the whining you have to ignore it.

Meet Dougal

post-534-1186255837_thumb.jpg

hi simcity.

i was listening to a dog trainer on the tv the other day ans se suggested cleaning the area with a non biological washing powder, as this is the only thing that takes away the smell that the puppy is associating with an area which they can wee in.

keep doing the praise thing.

also, i recomend with the whining, (takes a couple of days of doing this, are you off work at the mo?)

leave the puppy and go out for about 2 mins, then come back for about 2 mins,

then go out again for about 4 mins then come back for mins.....then go for 8 mins etc.........

puppy needs to understand that you will come back and at the moment he hasnt grasped this idea.

also, the water pistol thing works too.... we used this on our rescue dog to stop him barking at strangers...it works

lucie

I use training pads with my dog, gradually moving them closer and closer to the door and then outside. Mine got the hang of it really quickly but then she had other very bad habits such as chewing anything from skirting boards to my kitchen table!!!!

Lots and lots of people I know use the puppy pens and swear by them, apparently they make the dog feel secure (hopefully stopping the crying and whimpering) and also stopping any accidents as they will not wee or poo in the same place as they sleep. Perhaps I should have use them with my dog then I wouldnt have had such a chewed up house!!

Thanks for all your replies. Im off work till september so i'm hoping to have this toilet traing sorted by then, at least a little. We are using the pads, he always goes around the edge of them, half on, half off. Today we had a major break through, he went three times today in the garden, mind you he did at one point wee in the garden then went straight indoors and did another one in the kitchen, oh well!!!! small steps, i'm beginning to feel like Mrs Mop, my kitchen floor has never looked so clean!!!!! and last night he went for 6 hours without whining.................................

Hi Hali

Just noticed you only have 2 days to go till you go to Cyprus, Have a great Holiday, hope you come back well rested. Thanks for the advice, at least the weathers good, only thing i'm getting done at the moment is my gardening!!!!!!!

Hi Hali

Just noticed you only have 2 days to go till you go to Cyprus, Have a great Holiday, hope you come back well rested. Thanks for the advice, at least the weathers good, only thing i'm getting done at the moment is my gardening!!!!!!!

I'm sure Hali wishes she was off in two days time, but the aeroplane is still moving in months at the moment!!

we used a indoor kennel or puppy pen , and it helped, the puppy did not wet in her bed, or where she was fed, and i know a friend fed the puppy in the area they constantly wet and they stopped wetting in the area.

You really need to also ensure all smells of urine etc are totally removed as they will wet in the same place if there is even the slightest trace left. Washing powder really does work or you can buy commercial smell removers if this does not work. It is a case of them marking the same place and remarking it each time, we used this to train our dog to only use one area of the garden to toilet in, made it easier to clean and ensure kept clean especially with children around.

The clock in a sock with a hot water bottle or heat pad helped with the crying, and also totally ignoring it... ok if you don't have neighbours to disturb! Much as children reward the good ignore the bad behaviour, easier to reward too as most are very food orientated. As we had dried food she got some of this during the day as treats so did not gain the weight from too many special treats.

we had a film canister or small pot with a lid to shake and she could hear the food before getting the treat...in time all we had to do was shake the pot and she did what was asked.

Chewing furniture... a friend put vic on the areas and the dog stopped.. don't like it apparently!

good luck and enjoy

Inge

when you leave the puppy try putting a radio on for company. This worked for our dog when she was a puppy. She has got used to the routine of knowing that if the radio is put on we are probably going out. She goes off to her box ready for a quiet snooze! :o

Jessica the radio reminded me of when my other dog was a puppy. I use to leave it on everytime i went out. Thought all was good until i returned home one day in between songs. I had it on a french station, no wonder he wouldn't listen to me i wasn't speaking french :o .