Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Some Answers At Last.....

beth1

My contact sent me an emailing today stating that they had rung around the nurseries I have been for interviews. :( Well what would you know they said I am good on paper but I need some more experience, ummm 4 years is not enough then! :( How am I expected to get the experience if they won't employ me, a bit like an chicken and egg thing. :(:oxD

Beth

Guest tinkerbell

The reason iIask is job in the Courier this evening

'Triangle House req full or part time Nursery Assistant, good rates of pay,generous holiday package.For application pack ring Lara the manager on 01422 836574

Any use???

Tinkerbellx

Give it a go beth, it cant hurt to apply twice especially if its a different position they are advertising. Have you tried asking local nurseries and playgoups if they would take you on placement so you can do your course? My friends all started their level 3 while being on placement at playgroup. I know there's no money in it but it might help get your foot in the door (all my friends ended up as staff at playgoup at some time or another) and it will add to your experience. I'm sure if your tutor gave you a letter someone would be able to help you out. Good luck :o

Yes I have seen it, I have filled in an application form a few weeks ago and nothing came of it. Of course this was for another postion in the nursery.

Beth

Is it worth ringing the setting up and remind them that you applied before but heard nothing? Perhaps you could ask them (a) why they didn't consider you for interview for the previous job and (:o will they consider your application this time round?

I'm assuming this group acknowledged your application - I'm not sure I'd want to work there if not!

And if you get to interview, why not offer to spend a couple of sessions working with them to show them what you're made of?

Maz

Is it worth ringing the setting up and remind them that you applied before but heard nothing? Perhaps you could ask them (a) why they didn't consider you for interview for the previous job and (:o will they consider your application this time round?

Maz

See Hali - this is why I don't like smilies - they creep in where there're not wanted....

( b ) came out as (xD - I'm technologically challenged...

Maz

Beth, it's possible that they only answer the applicants who they wish to see. I applied to the council online once and it said that I wouldnt necessarily get a reply, which I didnt! Its not an ideal way of doing things but it is still done. I know playgroup only worte to people who were considered for an interview not all those who had applied, it was a decision made by funds (stamps) and time (writting all the letters and posting them).

When you say 'your contact', who is that? Are you applying through the agency or on your own? :o

When you say 'your contact', who is that? Are you applying through the agency or on your own? :o

My contact is my adviser at local adsivery service that deals with people who have special needs. My local jobcentre suggested contacting them as they though this was the problem. Also if any jobs come around I sometimes forward them to him, however this does't not seem to help the situation I am in.

I have seen several jobs today, although most of them are at level 2, 2 in preschools, around 3/4 in day nurseries.

Beth

I decied to look back at my childcare career from 2000 to present, I cannot see where I am lacking in this so called 'good on paper but lacks experience'. :(

Ok working as a trainee doing my level 2 and 3 courses I had 7 short term placements, lasting between 2 and 6 months depending on what it was. Gained the usual trainee experience. :unsure: I also went to camp america for 2 months. xD

The since then I have worked in day nurseries x 2: 1 x 8 months (had lots of problems), 1 x 18 months (before I sort of walked out because of workplace bullying DON'T ASK!, plus would have stayed longer if sorted out) Worked for Sure Start on ad hoc basis for the last 15 months and then woked ad hoc again for agency 17 months. :wacko:

Within this I have worked as a Nursery Nurse, Out of School Club Leader, Creche worker, gained all the usual skills like: key person role, observations/planning, running the OOSC, working in various areas i.e. disavanaged/affuluent, worked as part of a team, special needs. I have worked in a wide and varied childcare settings gaining new ideas and skills especally on suppy. In other words I always meet the person specification they send out in application forms. :(:( :rolleyes:

The things that I can see that could go against me is my lack of staying power in jobs, plus studying for FDey at college however the fact I don't know my timetable until 21 September, all I know is 1 3 hour session on Thursday followed by 1 2 hour session on Friday. :o

From a very confused Beth xD

Mainly nursery nurse postions and occassionaly senior postions. :o However I have noticed if I go for the nursery nurse jobs they seem to want people with less experience than me. I have had one a few months back telling me I had too much experience for the job! xD

I have rung up my local careers advice service, who like everyone else is baffled why I haven't gained a job yet. :( They did think because I am doing my FDey that nursery managers may be thinking I could leave or take their job in a few years time. :rolleyes:

Everyone lately is suggesting doing nannying as this form of work could show in a couple of years how good I am at time management, planning/observation skills etc, thus no longer lacking in experience as long as I work vountary in a setting placement. xD

I am not about to give up the ghost, I have worked very hard to get where I am today and I will not give up without a fight. :( :wacko: I am more detrimed to get my foot throught the door and show how good I am working with children. :(

Beth

What if you write down in your CV that you are open to any other positions they would have available and which you are qualified?

I once applied as an T.A. (I wanted some time for other things) and I ended up with 2 teaching offers in the same school!!! I had/have a B.A. in Education (Special Needs and Kindergarten-Primary) and lots of years of experience. I took the teaching position since I needed the job. I also liked the school and the grade xD. I have been working there since 2001 :o.

I may have discovered a new problem, one of my current jobs won't give me a reference because they don't really know me and my current referee is on Mat leave. xD I am sooo anoyed because I was told that other people would be able to fill it out. :(

Now this only leaves me with one at the moment, I think my agency won't give any references out as again the won't have seen me in action. :( Plus my placement schools is on holiday so I will have to wait until the school term starts again. :o

So it looks like unemployment for a few more weeks and possibly not to return to college for year 2 Foundation Degree Early Years course in 6 weeks time. :wacko: :(

Beth