Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

New Setting Help

Hi Everyone

I have found this forum so helpful. I am wondering if anyone can give me advice i have recently taken on a new job within a Pre-school as supervisor and start in September when my maternint leave finishes. This is my first supervisory role (Previously Deputy in full day care) and as i have been out for 6 months with my baby im very nervous. Hss anyone got any good advice out there regarding planning and assesments they could offer me i want to be certain i am planning and observing in the right way and not overlooking a single thing.

:oxD

Thanks Very much

Sarah xxxxxx

Congratulations Sarah on your baby and your new job!

If I were you I'd start with how they plan at the moment - can you get hold of all their paperwork so that you can understand what their approach is? Having any blank forms they use as well as a few plans and observations that have been produced by their most experienced practitioners will help you find your feet.

Good luck with your new job - you sound as if you're going to be very thorough - lucky them!

Maz

Agree with Happy Maz..

best to look at what they are currently doing and how that works...get to know staff routine etc etc before making any changes.

Then consult them about any proposed changes and why , no good making any new decisions and routines/planning if rest of staff not involved, as they will be the ones implementing it. Slow and small usually works well , but you may find not all current staff willing to change.(always seems to be one!)

Inge

Thanks for the advice i am quite lucky exisisting staffing is not going to be a problem as we are all going to be new. We are probably due an inspection fairly soon too due to registration changes so i just want to make sure im all up to date of what is expectedand my paper work content is ok.

If anyone has any good planning suggestions or examples i would be very greatful i have an idea of how to set it out just need some reassurance.

Has anyone got any ideas for continuous provsion planning ? Do similar settings plan circle time?

Sorry for so many questions just want to to get it right

Thanks again for the help :oxD

Guest Wolfie

Sarah, for starters have a look in the Resource Library - there are some formats there to start you thinking, including some linked to continuous provision. They might prompt some more specific questions in your mind that we could help you with.

I agree with what everyone else has said about not trying to change too much too soon - give yourself time to settle into your new role and develop your relationships with the staff - good teamwork and relationships will make implementing new practice and ideas that much easier! :o

And many congratulations on your new baby and new job - you HAVE been busy! xD

If starting from a totally new slate (staff etc) I would refer to the new EYFS for examples as well , it may give you a few ideas you can discuss with others. We always discuss planning with all staff where possible.

Circle time planning depends on the routine and children and group and and...... so many variables, but we often do it retrospectively as we go with the children at the time and it changes from our plans anyway. Some days we abandon all hope of even trying, others children happy to stay and join in for ages.....this at least shows you are following their lead and planning for the children at that time.

when we were inspected they looked at planning for the child and how we used observations and other records to inform planning.... most of which you cannot do until you are working with the children.

as Wolfie said You need time to get to know staff, children and a routine to do a lot of the planning and recording, and will probably find it will change to for your needs over a period of time.

Perhaps a plan of what you would like to do/ look at or implement once you are in the job so you can show Ofsted , just to show you are aware of the needs and looking at how you can improve the setting...just remember if it works and shows a benefit for the children you will probably not need to change it.

Inge

Hello Sarah, lots of good advice already, just wanted to say hello and congratulations on your 'baby' and new job. I'd just say, enjoy, have fun, take things one step at a time, develop the team around you and learn from the children, take their lead, fit the curriculum to the child and not the child to the curriculum.

good luck, let us know how it all goes.

Peggy

just another thought, if you have time over the holidays, especially as you think Ofsted are due early on, have a look at Ofsted reports in your area, what are the Inspectors 'current' repeated areas for development. Also Ofted do a good publication can't remember its title, an Early Years, info, updates, news magazine which you can view on the site or have emailed to you. Also get to know the 5 Outcomes. See in resource library.

Peggy

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)