Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Nqt Reception

Guest Really

Guest Really

Hi

I have a job!! The school where I have completed my final teaching practice have given a job from September. I will be teaching Reception.

After getting over the initial excitement / delight etc.. I am now getting a little nervous!!

Any tips for me starting out? I am lucky in that it was Reception I taught on my TP so have an idea of how things are run etc... but want to put my own mark on in the classroom and would love any advice please!

Thanks.

First of all congratulations. :D:D .

Id try to spend as much time as you are able to visiting the classroom, and if there is a nursery, going in to meet the children. Basically find out as much as you can. Some you will know already having done TP there.

Youll get more ideas as you go along, and from other memebrs

Well done, you must be very excited! I would agree with Mundia that the more time you can spend in there the better. And as a pre-school manager I always appreciate it when YR teachers visit the children in their settings. I realise this isn't always possible with time constraints etc. but you may be able to this year before you start. That way you will get to see where all the children are coming from.

Linda

Well done,

I'm sure you'll be able to make your mark- if the school didin't think so they wouldn't be offering you the job!

So relax and enjoy your success. Concentrate on anything else you need to do to finish your course. If you're able have a holiday! Sort your living accomodation or whatever you might need to.

Some NQT contracts start in mid July now, use this time profitably if you have this. SChool will probably have some ideas but certainly visiting the children in their settings, making your classroom look bright and cheery will be time well spent.

Think about resources you might need, ask in school and most of all have fun.

As you already know the school you ought to be at an advantage. will you be in the same classroom as your TP? Don't assume resources that had been made will be available. Sometimes teachers make their own, sometines they are year group made etc.

Don't waste time making things you won't need to but do try to get some things sorted!

but don't tire yourself you will need to bright and fresh and relaxed for September.

Get back to us if you need anything else!

Good luck.

Guest Really

Thanks for all your comments and congrats!!

My post starts from the 31st August and I will be in the same room as I was when I taught Reception in my TP. I have already arranged to spend a week in the nursery to get to know the children.

Luckily I made a lot of resources and the teacher is using them now! I have started building up stocks and laminating things I will find useful etc..

I have the odd days supply in the class coming up during May so plan to measure up the classroom and think how I want to arrange it. At the moment it does not have a reading corner and I desperately want one, just not sure how to fit it in yet.

I am also about to register with the LEA Supply Service, simply so I can get into schools and nab ideas!

Any other tips please let me have them!

When my son was in Y1 he had a teacher who'd just finished training. I have to say I found her fantastic. She came in with such infectious enthusiasm and set up many wonderful areas of learning for the kids. Just wanted to say that I'm sure you'll do a wonderful job. :) You're obviously buzzing with excitement!! :o Good luck!

Well done on the post! You are about to start an emotional roller coaster and a life changing career! I am nearing the end of my first year teaching reception and it has been wonderful! I absolutely love it and I am sure you will feel the same.

I spent most of my summer holiday in my classroom preparing for September, I am one of those people who needs to be completely organised or I get stressed (virgo)!! BUT make sure that you do allow yourself plenty of 'you' time as the Autumn Term is amazingly long!! I basically rearranged the room, made a self-registration chart (a sunflower with names on petals), backed the walls, went through all the cupboards and resources (threw stuff out), so that I knew exactly what I had to work with.

Don't try and do it all at once, you will learn to to let things wait, it is a fact that there is always something to be done, but be kind to yourself. By Christmas I had worked this out and I still have a to do list that just keeps on getting longer! I had this idea that before I started I would be really organised and have everything in topic files & boxes..this is still ongoing!!!! (but it hasn't affected my teaching!).

On teaching practice I made loads of resources, like you. However, since I started teaching permanently I have found very little time! (I should be a shareholder in the ELC!!!). Don't spend loads of time making things, concentrate on how you want to structure the day, timetables and planning. Get a feel for your classroom and the resources available to you including computer programmes.

One of the best things I did was supply teaching before starting. Like you say, you see a load of different classrooms and get to pinch and adapt some great ideas! Also, make sure that you get a chance to visit other schools as part of your NQT time, it has been the most valuable part of my training.

Good Luck with it all, enjoy it and remember there will be days that aren't the best, but there will always be something to smile about! :D

Shelley

Guest Really

Thanks Shelley- great to hear someone who has been there. Spent today going round £1 shops and picked up some fab things to use. I am very lucky in that my youngest son starts in Reception (not my class!) also in September so I can 'try' things out on him.

Thanks.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)