Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Presentation For Nursery Manager Position

Guest Wolfie

Guest Wolfie

We are in the process of advertising for a nursery manager and are thinking ahead to how we want to run the interviews. We would like to ask candidates to do some kind of presentation as part of the interview but are struggling for ideas about what to do the presentation on.

Has anyone done something similar, either as an interviewer or interviewee? What sort of subjects have you seen done as presentations? Any ideas very gratefully received!! :o

I think it was something along the lines of: As a senior member of staff how would you create and maintain strong partnerships with parents. Give examples of good practice you have seen in this area and how the relationship between parents and nursery could become strained, how do you think this could be overcome?

When we do presentations we ask for them to last for approx 10 mins in the past wehave done presentations on sustainability, ethnic inclusion, and what constitutes good practice and how you would facilitate good practice.

Wolfie - do you have any 'issues' that your setting is facing at the moment?

For example, we have been thinking about what we offer our older four year olds so when we interviewed our deputy supervisor, we asked questions about what she thought we should do for this particular age group, what the benefits of this approach was, and how would it best prepare them for their transition to primary school.

This could be a good way of gathering ideas and suggestions from a range of different practitioners as well as testing their mettle!

Maz

I had to do a ten minute presentation on 'individual planning and the importance of'. Then a 20 minute activity with a group of children.

Yes, my presentation to parents had to be 10 mins. Like Shirel I also had to do a 20 min activity of my choosing with a group of 6 children.

We also had to have a buffet lunch with the governing body.

when i went for the manager job interview i had a choice to do a presentation (that as a Manager i would deliver to the staff) on one of the following:

* The Nursery's up and coming ofsted inspection

* Behaviour management and good practice around behaviour management in the setting

* Birth to Three Matters framework and how to deliver it in nursery

* the foundation stage curriculum and how to deliver it in nursery.

Presentations had to be between 5 - 5 mins long.

incidently i did mine on the nurseries up and coming ofsted inspection and it went really well :o , plus taught me a lot in researching it all.

Dawn

Guest Wolfie

Thank you everybody for your replies, that has been really helpful. I particularly like the idea of holding a buffet lunch!! :o Yes, Maz, we do have a few issues at the moment and they might well give us a good starting point for the subject of a presentation. I wanted to make sure we weren't expecting too much of the candidates by asking for a presentation but you have all given me reassurance that it's OK. We need someone who can really take the bull by the horns and get to grips with some current issues in the nursery and seeing how mch effort they put into something like this could be a real eye opener.

Thank you again everyone.

• 2 weeks later...

When I interviewed my manager the spec was something on the lines of- Ofsted are expected within the next 3 months. Outline the issues you will address in order to be ready for the inspection and time table an action plan. I gave them 30 minutes to complete it and boy did it seperate managers/aspiring managers. One year later we are still awaiting Ofsted but everything she said she needed to do was addressed on her appointment.