Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Story Sacks

:( Had this great idea last week to get all staff over the summer holidays to make a story sack......chose 6 books I know the children love and wrote them on a piece of paper & each member of staff chose one. I thought I knew what went into one but I've been researching on google etc and have found so many different kinds.

So :o once again I'm calling on all you knowledgable to lot to help me. Have you made your own story sacks? what story's did you use? Can you download an example?

I chose 'The three little pigs'.....other stories included.......3 billy goats gruff, jack and the beanstalk, little red riding hood, the gingerbread man & goldilocks and the three bears.

All ideas greatfully received! :( Especially my one xD

mrs b

Guest tinkerbell

Mrsb we have bought quite a few story sacks and they do go down well with the children.

The Gingerbread one has the Ladybird story,gingerbread cutter and recipe book for making gingerbread,plastic animals from the story.

The Hungry caterpillar has amazing felt items from the story a cocoon that unzips into a butterfly,the book and a symmetry game.I have downloaded the items from a website ,laminated and cut out the holes and also added the plastic butterfly life cycle (4 or 5pieces) from early learning centre.

i think the beauty of making your own is you can add what you like, I think a list of what is in the bag would be useful for putting things back as unfortunately some staff! are a bit slack with looking after things (in another class)

We have just had the book people leave Danny and the dinosaurs books ,quite a few for £8, i am already planning to make a dinosaur bag this summer with non fiction books as well as fiction and plastic dinosaurs Tesco do a tube for 97p!

I will be visiting the charity shops as well...

have fun

Tinkerbellx

I was on a course for multicultural awareness a couple of weeks ago and there were lots of wonderful story sacks for us to look at -

it seemed to be a matter of putting in whatever you want that is special, different and relevant to the story - eg for 3 little pigs you might put in some plastic or material pigs; a sample of each building material - in pics or a piece of straw in a ziploc bag; a pig song to inspire children to sing; a card or postcard showing a pig; a small wheelbarrow for carrying the materials; some houses made out of different materials so chidlren can choose which one pig might have made etc

The multicultural ones were lovely - there was a muslim one with a diva lamp, prayer mat, cap, relevant book about child going to mosque to pray, an item of clothing, some jewellry nestling in a box

the Chinese one was a book again about some chidlren celebrating Chinese new year, a paper dragon, a Chinese newspaper, a cup for tea, a teabag (smelled lovely), some chinese pyjamas and some chopsticks

i think it's about exciting all the senses through exploration and enjoyment

Sarah x :o

xD Thanks for your inspiration...I have never done a story sack before so was a bit :( about what was inside.....I can get carried away on things like this but is seems this time I can :o

Glad I have asked for advice, I was basically going by the story and just going to put main characters & items inside.

I hope the children love them as much as they do the singing sack we have.......they use that with an adult at circle time or on their own in the book corner with a child being 'one of us' choosing someone to pick from the singing sack.

Many thanks.....if anyone can download a photo of the contents of one they use I would love to look.

Guest Wolfie

If you're actually looking for the sacks to put them in at any stage, there are some great people on Ebay...but not ME I hasten to add!....who do some lovely sacks, personalised to your request, at very reasonable prices. Actually, you might also get some ideas fro contents of sacks from looking on there.

Edited by Wolfie

we got our parent to make them - and I have to say they did a brilliant job. (to be honest I think they may have got a bit competative amongst themselves!) Some of them were amazing, with a lot of imagination put into them.

ilove the charity shops for bits and pieces for story sacks and themed resources. ALso ask parents to donate. lots of parents tell me that they have just "got rid" of a lot of toys and bits and pieces that their child no longer needed. Maybe you could take a look first?

I would echo Wolfie with the ebay recommendation. I have bought three off of a particular seller and they are fantastic. The children really love them and they inspired me to make one of my own, although I did buy the bag off of ebay! I'm soooo not good at sewing etc!

i've managed to upload some photos to 'my controls' but how do I put them in a post???

Hi Biccy, I place pictures that I want to upload onto my desktop.

1/ Select reply to start a new post.

2/ look below text box - attachments - look at right of this blue box

3/ select browse, this takes you to your computor, find your pics, double click on one then

4/ the details of the pic appears in the white box next to browse.

5/ select UPLOAD

6/ click add reply

Doc1.doc

I love getting bits and pieces together for a story. Because I work supply, I tend to search for unusual books, most settings have the same ones, and then I buy things to go with them. I keep my stuff in a box in the car and put what I need into a bag for the day. Finger puppets are one of my best buys.

Puppets by post. Really lovely stuff, but I have got some from craft fairs too. I recently bought some from ikea, 10 for £3 I think. Sea creatures and wild animals. :o

Hi I went on training for Story Sacks and I made one which contained a book called beans on toast, which had lots of shopping involved so I added 5 current buns which I made out of felt, golden pennies also made, the words to 5 current buns, a small shopping basket and bits of plastic food. Finally, a bingo game with laminated pictures of different items and the shops they would buy them from. Julia

testing

is that too small?

Hickory dickory dock-got more if viewable

Edited by Guest

Thanks xD

I'm a little teapot is the most popular and although we rotate the sacks available that one has to stay out or there is a riot :o

We use themed sacks on a trolley for outside play-pirates-babies-dog-firemen etc.It's quick setting up and the children self select.

Reading this topic is wanting me to make one now. :o Although I am no good a sewing anything together, when I did my level 3 course I made one but it brock apart. xD Plus I have nowhere to tell the story until September 07 (hopefully)

Beth

Ok look what you have got me into now!! :(

I am thinking of doing a story sack on 'The Jolly Postman' and a song sack on '5 Little Firemen' for my new Foundation Stage updated planning on the loose theme of People Who Help Us. :( :wacko: xD Plus I maybe able to use them in a job if I ever get one and possibly take them to interviews with me.

So any ideas :o on what to/need for:

The Jolly Postman

and

5 little firemen

Beth

Biccy its ok, I have now decided to do a different topic on Light and Dark instead. :o

Beth

Edited by Guest

I have lots of these.Print off and laminate.I put magnets on mine and use them on a baking tray which is easy to hold up when singing for the children to view.This one is from the Laura's star photo.Baking trays are a basic provision in the classroom.

This is a sack I have created in response to the interests of one of my nursery children. The bag was bought from ebay, very well made and I don't think I could have made it any cheaper. The puppet and books from Amazon. There are also some pirate pages you can download from the Scholastic web site.

post-1979-1185238293_thumb.jpg

Guest Wolfie

That's a great one! There are a few people who have latched onto the idea of selling the actual sacks on Ebay aren't there - I bought a really lovely nursery rhymes one recently. :o

• 6 months later...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)