Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Nursery Trip

Wasnt sure where to put this so apologies if its in the wriong place!!

We have a bit of a dilemma. We have a trip planned for the end of may, but the uptake from the parents has been quite poor (which we partly expected).

On the one hand, those that have paid, are really excited abiut it and it would disappoint them to cancel.

On the other hand, we will be doing preparation in nursery and afterwards around the trip, which would then exclude those not going as they wouldnt be able to participate fully

we are talking about half and half at the moment, unless we can persuade any more (which we are trying to do)

What would you do in the same circumstance?

Where is the trip to Mundia? I just wondered if there was a way of bringing some of the trip back into the nursery? Its a difficult one isn't it? I think I would be inclined to carry on with the trip-imagine the disappointment of all those little ones who have paid. I know when we went to Chester zoo the other week it was difficult talking about it knowing that some of them weren't going-but they thought they were!!!

I assume that those children not going on the trip will be able to do some of the work involved?

Linda

thanks for that, Linda and Hali.

We're doing 'out and about' for our theme so the trip will be on the severn valley railway which means a bus and 2 trains!!! most of the children will have never been on a train before, and some may not have been on a bus either, so although it will be a bit of a logistic nightmare with connections and things, we felt that was more of an experience than just hiring a coach for the day (which would have also doubled the cost!)

as you say hali,we are hoping that the parenst who dont want their children to go will realise what they have missed and may think twice next time

Sounds fantastic Mundia, can I come?

we were in this postion a few years back and eventually had to cancel as it was school policy not to exclude anyone on the basis of cost and that seemed to be the main reason why parents were refusing permission. The refused permission aslo made it difficult.

In the end we lost slightly less by cancelling than we would have done by going ahead, Cancellation fee from the coach company was slightly less then what we would have needed tp put in from funds to cover the costs of coach and admission.

It was very disappointing though, for the children who had paid and for me especially as some of the refusing parents were outwardly delighted when the trip was finally cancelled.

Presumably, you won't be out of pocket by cancelling though so you can try to canvass a few more?

What are the objections?

Our nurseries take 1:1 parents and children when they go to Legoland, which always makes my trips difficult as parents want to come and we being a school don't want them in quite the same way.

My school is planning a whole school trip to the seaside which is actually the worst nightmare I have ever had on a school trip, when we did this 2 years ago. Perhaps I'll still be off sick. My family will certainly have to be prepared for my weekend recovering as I always end up with a migraine afterwards however successful it has been! :o

Susan

Of course you can come Susan :D:D:D

The main refussals are

cost (as there are two other trips in school this term and mnay of the families have children in severalclasses). we have allowed weekly payment but to that has made no diifference.

the lateness coming back-

the distance- many of our children are still only 3, and they have to walk quite a bit, and wait for train and bus connections

some claim their children are travel sick

we wont have to pay a cancellaion fee as long as we cancel within 2 weeks of the date so we need to make a decsiion this weeek.

yes we have done the trip to the seaside which was the trip from hell- for a start the coach had been double booked so we had to put out a pleas on local radio fro a coach (which we did get). Then one of the childern had a fit (which we were told later he had had before and the parenst didnt think to tell us!!!); then a member os staff fell and broke her leg.

must be the reason I hate trips personally :o

I must remember not to do a trip to the seaside!!! :D:D Mundia what a nightmare! And Susans didn't sound too great either. I went with my son's reception class many years ago and it was wonderful. The sun shone and they had a lovely time. But to take the whole school!!!!! :o What happens if it rains?????

Most of our local schools have a policy that no child should be excluded because of costs. It means that in the majority of cases the trips do go ahead with perhaps one or two being funded from school funds. But if a lot of children can't afford it then it doesn't happen. I suppose if parents know this up front then they can't complain if a trip is cancelled. I know I didn't tell my two about trips until I knew they were definately on so that they wouldn't be disappointed.

Linda

Mundia

I have read this with interest as we too have been looking at Severn Valley Railway (this terms topic being Transport), that and Welshpool Light Railway. My problem was the length of the round trip and what to do if it rains. At least Severn Valley Railway has a variety of stops where you can have a picnic but the wait for the train back can be quite long - Welshpool has only one stop - the other end of the line 50 mins away and for the youngest children its just too much sitting around. Also the risk assessment makes my hair stand on end!!!! All the train options were fairly costly too, given the distance we would need to travel by coach. In the end we propose to put up a display with a variety of different trip options on it - W Midland Safari Park, and two local child friendly farms. The parents can tick their favoured option and we will run with that. Its all very frustrating but if you are not getting the support from the parents you might as well run with their preferred option and get the support. After all its possible this time for me to adapt my planning and focus on the journey to the safari park or farm by coach.

I imagine all this will only get harder over the next few years.

hi LJW. We are doing the 'Big Images Little People' which is specifically designed for the 3-5 age group on the severn valley. they are specially run trains, with the activities on board, rather than the standard trips that run at other times. Unfortunately the cost of hiring a coach is too prohibitive for us, so rules out things like the safari park. Know what you mean about the risk assessment- my colleague and I did the journey over the holidays just to see what the potential problems were (mising the train being high on the list there!!!). We could consider the option idea next year, we would have to be organised enough to give it plenty of time though.

I don't think the parents appreciate what a headache trips are - literally! We had a lovely trip out last summer and everything went like clockwork but by the end of the day I had a splitting headache. xD But the kids love them so........................ :o

I would say definetly go. The children get so much out of trips........not just the actual destination, but also the travelling there. I took my Nursery to the farm recently, and one little boy was more excited about seeing other buses on the way than he was about the farm!

I think it is really sad that parents cannot support things like trips. I dont think they realsie how much learning can be gained from them, and how much children enjoy somthing a bit different from the regular routine.

I do hope you dont let these parents put you off. Go!

Hi Mundia! I rang Severn valley this afternoon and they told me all about the event you mentioned - sounds fab so I am trying to get parents enthused this week so we can book! You are right about the coach tho, I had one quote of £100 and another of £155 for the same journey!

I really want to pursue this trip tho - Severn Valley said that there are activities at Arley, the stop, with a steam train and coaches the children can explore, a barrel organ, a mobile post office with matching activities etc, the station managers garden with hidden animals etc to find.... lots to do and all for £6 plus the coach fare...... There are also other special days planned too which also sounded great so if I miss the one you mentioned perhaps we can do one of the others!

keep you posted...

Ooh that sounds wonderful!

Wherever we go, it seems to cost at least £10 a head. Coaches seem to be about £450 in the summer too and we have to be back for their school runs.

I'm not looking forward to the seaside but don't have any wonderful alternatives, either.

Susan

• 4 weeks later...

Well we did it. :D:D:D

Had the most wonderful day,, only one blip with a not very patient train driver, but otherwise , no mishaps, good weather, the children were fab, great day was had by all. :D:D

It was lovely to hear people comment that they like to see young children going out on public transport...perhaps Im not such a loony after all. :D

Im just compeltely shattered, once a year is defintaly enough for such a long trip.

But would highly recommend the Severn Valley railway if you are within travelling distane. :D

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)