Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Eprofile As Baseline In Nursery

Hi there everyone,

We are about to start using the eprofile in Nursery and Reception. Our Headteacher wants us to use it for baseline as well to save us work, but as far as I can see in the Nursery year you only get to enter assessments at three points, entry, sumA and sumB. Does anyone else use the eprofile as baseline and if so how do you get round this problem?

Thanks

April

hi

I've been on a course with Sally featherstone today where she was discussing baseline - from what I gathered she advises strongly against using eprofile in nursery - apparently there is some pressure for a national baseline to emerge but she suggested watching this space. She was quite inspirational and said that heads should have the courage to find other ways of demosntrating progress has been made.

i think i would argue quite strongly against using profile scores in nursery as it should be used as an end of F2 measure and not as a curriculum planning device.

Hope that helps

I think you have to ask the question - how will we know where our children are if they are NOT achieving any end of key stage expectations at the age of 3. which I wouldn't expect!! So a score of 0 for 3 terms will be very unhelpful. Profile is for the last 3 terms in FS, and I wouldn't use it in Nursery to be honest. The EYFS will provide a much healthier option for nursery age children I think!

C :o

Hi April

I think watch this space is in order here. A number of schools in my LA have this year 'trialled' the nursery eprofile which breaks down the first 3 points further. I believe the intention is to roll it out here in 2007, whether or not it will spread to other LAs I don't know, but we are expecting to be using it next year.

I don't really like it myself, but there we are.

Our school advisor wants us to use our LA tracker (Sandwell) - basically you add points when chn. have achieved stepping stones and Early Learning Goals and is supposed to be added to termly. It then produces pretty graphs for boys v girls, summer born, different interventions etc. This may provide some useful information, BUT as the stepping stones and ELG are the only criteria we will have to copmlete the FS Profiles as well. A duplication of data and much more work for us!

Thanks for your responses, I have used the eprofile in Nursery before and I am sure they will come into line with the new document. If it is used correctly, i.e as a way of charting progress and not as a planning tool then it is actually quite useful. As a year leader of a nursery with 100 children I need something to tell me how different groups are achieving throughout the year. I appreciate it is not everyones cup of tea and I think we will use the new EY document as a baseline in Nursery but use the eprofile to record with.

April

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)