Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Awe And Wonder

My daughter has an interview on Friday for a Nursery Class post. She has to teach a 5 minute lesson to 4 children and produce 'awe and wonder'. Any ideas?

Al

I would have a sparkly shiny box and get them to think about what might be in the box - inside you could have a really unsual ornament or something.

I would have a sparkly shiny box and get them to think about what might be in the box - inside you could have a really unsual ornament or something.

That was my first thought too.

I recently attended a dance workshop where we played circle games. The instructor had a large hat box and she demonstrated a drama warm up by instructing us that something special was inside the box and we could use our senses to try and imagine what it could be. As the box was passed around there was silence as we all watched each person, shake, feel, listen and smell the box before guessing what was inside. Once the box had travelled around the instructor said that she would now show us the amazingly special thing inside. As she lifted the lid off she tipped the box upside down and a huge pile of colourful feather dropped from inside. Everyone smiled as the feathers tumbled down and she said that although that was special, the most special thing was still inside. The box was passed round again and we were told to keep the special thing secret, and there inside the bottom of the box was a perspex mirror and the extra special thing inside was me!!! I have since tried this in school and the children loved it, so much so that they now take turns putting special things to discuss inside our box. Good Luck.

L love the mirror and feathers in a box - I will certainly use that idea - thanks.

I always feel something natural fits awe and wonder well - how about taking in some snails on a piece of perspex so they can see them move from above and below.

A very large piece of colour ice - drop on a little salt and watch it melt. make by freezing an ice cream tub with food colour and water.

Somewhere I have seen an activity involving a mirror and water which creates a mini rainbow which someone else may remember and be able to give details of.

I wish your daughter luck.

Sam

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)