Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Nursery Reports

Hi,

Meeting with my new Head next week and want to come armed with ideas for this brand-new school One of my issues is with reports. I am concerned about the possibility of having to write 52 long-winded reports on my own next year. Our current nursery is much smaller but do the classic 6 areas with 6 big blank spaces for comments. I am of the opinion that this is an unnecessary waste of time as the nursery parents do not expect want or need this amount of info esp. in areas such as KUW, physical and creative. SO was wondering if any kind souls out there would be kind enough to PM me with examples of reports that are quicker to write for Nursery. (was thinking more your tickboxy type things? - not really sure so would love to see some examples!) Thanks so much!

xxx

In our pre-school we give out three reports per child in the whole time the child is with us.

They have a settling in report, a progress report and an end of pre-school report (this covers all areas of the curriculum) so we are never having to do reports for all of the children every term. Also in the time they are with us the, the parents will have a parent consultation which involves the parent coming into the setting, spending 15 minutes with the keyworker & group and then talking to the keyworker alone for approx 10 mins.

I'm not sure about tick boxes as they don't always say exactly what you want them to and are a bit impersonal.

We also give out an end of pre-school laminated certificate to those children who are leaving to go to school.

I type up our reports, so do know how you feel about having to do 52, they can take forever and get you very stressed!

Hi puzzles - am in a very similar situation to you & have spoken to my head teacher this week - i am faced with the possibility of writing 78 reports this time next year (currently have only had to do half as i have a part time teacher with me at the mo - however next year this will not be the case. I was going to put a similar post onto the forum looking for inspiration. Have had some thoughts - maybe have an A4 sheet - with 1 box for me to type in more of a personal statemnet about the child's successes and achievements in (mainly focusing upon PSED skills) & then a space for the child's photograph/drawing of an activity they enjoy doing in nursery & a space for them to write what they have enjoyed/who their friends are etc - what do you think ?????

Will watch the replies that come along with great interest. xx

From the point of view of a parent, when my lads were in reception and before that playgroup, I only needed to know that they were happy, sociable and keen. I didnt need to know that 'this term he's experienced sponge painting and said this that and t'other'.

I was always of the opinion that if they were having problems in any area the teacher would ask to see me, same with parents evenings, no point me going year after year if the report was always the same. (But then they were particulay good and bright)

Reports are lovely to look back on but I think thats where their overall value ends for me.

And from the point of view of playgroup leader who had to write them, knowing full well parents werent bothered and reception teachers didnt read them, definitly not needed. :o

Agree with you entirely Rea which is why I want to set up quicker reports from day one so that the parents can't say that they preferred the longer reports as they won't know any different and will just be happy with what they've got!

Bear with me, I'm thinking out loud...

Presumably you will have a parents evening of some kind? Could you not give the parents a copy of your notes on the night?

Or what about a sheet with the 6 areas and a box to tick, working towards, on target, achieving well?

If the parents need to know more they can see you at parents evening or whenever.

Do you keep the art work, books, bits of paper written on over the year? A photo on entry, a photo at the end, a folder of work with a few words along the lines of 'Harry has made good progression this year, I wish him well in Y1'.

Lets face it reports are rarely going to tell the absolute truth about the darlings antics! :o

My youngests report should have read 'he's a stubborn whatsit' instead it was along the lines of 'Richard has very firm ideas' Yeah and dont we know it? xD

We do a report that gives info about PSE, mathematical development and literacy plus abit of general info and a photo. I think this is plenty for Nursery. As others have said we do parents consultations and talk on a daily basis to most parent anyway, I am attaching our proforma incase it helps.

nursery_report_blank.doc

Hi Puzzles, know the feeling, been there when I worked in a 39 place PT nursery some years ago. First do you have the freedom to suggest your own format, great if you do, but my school insists on all reports using the same package (we use report assist which I hate). My HT is very particular about teh commonality across all classes and not singling out FS as 'different' (this is double edged!!)

Second is there any mileage in asking keyworkers to write their own or at least contribute to their groups' reports? We did this when I worked with 78 children, they wrote their own (I had to find release time for them to do this), I added some comments and they were all happy to do this as they knew the children very well.

Hiya, thanks all still not quite getting what I'm looking for though - I don't want blank boxes but rather more ticklisty where there are 3 options, something like Can do on their own, can do with support, or not ready yet (not sure about that one).

I will be FS leader in the school and it is a brand-new school so we have no previous format so therefore have a free reign as it were.

Am very surprised that noone else does anything other than a blank box format....would love to hear if you do something different... x

I keep mine very simple and I fill them in with the children.

I have our nursery logo faintly on the background with the following 5 statements on (A4 paper)

My name is........................

While I have been at nursery I have made friends with....................................

I have enjoyed.................................

I am good at......................................

During the long summer holiday please help me to.........................

And that is all. I have been using this format for about 3 years, approved by SMT and the children enjoy being part of them and the parents seem happy with them. They go out with a parental questionnaire, only about 30% of which come back. I ask what their child talks about at home that they have enjoyed doing at nursery, which children they have made out of school friendships with, how they think their child has changed and developed and what they think is their child's greatest achievement since starting nursery.

Hope this helps, overall point of massage, keep it simple, in my opinion.

• 7 years later...
Guest LOSINGTHEWILLTOLIVE

I have to write a full report for each of the 64 children on each area of learning and the characteristics of effective learning and they are three pages long - each one! :(

Margaret I really like the simple summary report idea so I asked if we could do it but apparently that "is not what we do here!".

I have no life during the half term and on in to June so I am feeling pretty miserable at the moment.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)