Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Making Sense Of The Five Senses!

Cn any one help me be a little clearer on what to include in our plans to cover the five senses..... it seems that National Curriculum Guidance for the Foundation Stage do not include "taste", where as they do include "feel" along with "touch"! To me feel and touch are the same, unless "feel" refers to "feelings" which to me would be an emotion rather than a sense........ and why no mention of a very important sense, that of our "taste"! all those lovely excuses for snacking! Surely this isn't due to all the allergy and special diet needs that are common now, if so it seems to be a very limited way of dealing with this issue. Look forward to your help.....

Hi Rain

welcome to the forum and thanks for posting.

I have to agree-I have found the omission of "taste" from the guidance a little odd. And like you I thought that touch and feel were the same! Anyway, we always include taste in our topic when we do the senses-I really don't see how you can leave it out. But we always ask permission for children to taste any foods. On our personal records sheet we ask if they have any allergies or special dietary requirements. So if you ask parents to sign a consent form and tell them what they will be tasting you should be ok.

Linda

Hi Rain -

Glad you made it - welcome to the forum and thanks for your first post! :D

I have a feeling a lot of this discussion will revolve around small cookery sessions. I know we had a week where tropical fruit were brought in every day to accompany a big book about rainforests - and the children all sampled the various flavours and talked about them.

The good thing about this is it mixes up the senses, with the rough, slimy and other textures all being unavoidable with various fruits.

But I'll leave the experts to comment further - I'm sure Helen and others will have plenty to say on the subject!

Welcome again! :)

I agree about taste - we it should play a large part in Foundation stage! I believe it's much more structured in France where there are various types of taste that the children experience before they are 5 - can't remember what they are though!

We had great fun during our 'senses' project where we set up all the tables with a different food and the children had to try to use all five senses + find out as much about each food as possible (an adult scribed their responses, helping them decide which sense they had used!) Squidging the baked beans and crunching the crisps were great fun and they almost all had a taste of everything! :)

It also reminds me of when we made Kipper's cake for 'The Party' (?) with cornflakes, beans ketchup etc. Once one girl decided to taste it they all had a go - and generally described it as delicious!!!

Dianne xxx

I have always thought this was a mistake in the Curriculum Guidance that nobody had noticed!!! We have always included "taste" when doing the five senses.

:D

I agree - the tasting thing is really important. I think too many children today are catered for in a rather bland way instead of being introduced to a variety of tastes at an early age. I read somewhere that if you can manage to get a child to try something they don't like about 20 times they become accustomed to it and will eventually like it. I am trying this out on my 5year old at the moment so will let you know if it works! :D

Thanks to all the above people who replied, i am so glad i am not the only one who thinks it must surely be a misprint to ommit taste like this..so thanks to Libby especially. I look forward to becoming more fluent with this web site, at the moment its a bit of a maze. many thanks again. Rain. ps I love the idea of Kippers Cake as a finale! Rain.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)