Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Preparing Children For School

xD I was hoping that you may be able to help? Do you do anything extra to prepare children who are going to school. Ie extra sessions for those children the term before?,any particular activities in preparation for school. I also wonderd if i should ask the veiws of teachers in the reception forum? :o

Working in Day Nursery, it was suggested to me the other day that we have a picnic, with the children bringing their lunchboxes for us to fill, so that they can get used to coping with the box and packaging before being left to manage at school. Seems a good idea, I know my granddaughter struggles with crisp packets etc.

Jean

We ask parents if they would like to send a packed lunch in with their children for this last term-they don't all take up the offer. we feel that it gives the children an idea of what they are going to have to cope with once they start school. The only thing we don't do is make a big deal out of it-we don't mention that we are preparing them for school. We find that many of them start getting quite wound up round about now as everybody seems to be talking about what they are going to be doing in September. We have found they become quite apprehensive and clingy and don't want to come to pre-school.

We don't have any extra sessions just for the pre-schoolers. Once they are in the year before they start school, ie the September before, we move them into a different keyworker group and they have a 15 minute group session during the morning.

Linda

I have recently done some transitional work with children with additional needs.

a child with Autism

we were able to access a small grant through the Area SENCO team (£150) this supported extra (additional to the normal visits) visits by the school staff to the childs setting. we also made a book using photo's of staff and areas of the school to use to talk about the move both in the pre-school setting and at home with mum. this made the transition much smoother and less worrying for a child who doesnt like changes and becomes anxious

A traveller child

same kind of thing - the photo book again

choosing carefully areas that parents may find worrying - such as security - was the school a safe place (they worry about peodophiles) has everyone in the school been police checked

making sure the photos had traveller children in - not named but there

transition books are a very useful resource for both parents and children

Hi

By 4yrs ours are usually doing 5 sessions...

They also move from a keyworker group up to me who takes them all out for 15min each day. We also introduce a lunch club and if parents are happy swap their sessions as we work 5 morings and 2 afternoons (so in thier last term they do an am and pm session).

Thay aslo go up to the big school for visits with the staff before starting.

We encourage children to stay to our lunch club so they can manage to deal with their own lunch boxes,open their food,peel their own oranges and bannanas and deal with the rubbish. Each table has a table monitor that has to wipe the table after. Children have change their own footwear and put on their own coats. A playschool near me asks parents to provide a snack each day in a lunch box.i.e.crisps ,yogurt,sandwich.

Guest valletta

hi,

how about a p.e.session

we do this a lot and the children have to bring in a change of clothes.

soem children find this very daunting changing in a setting other than the home, it is a mazing how many put clothes on back to front and inside out, so that is one hurdle that i thnk is important together with the pack lunch session and eating together in a group

our local primary school told us that the changing into clothes and the pack lunches are the most two important things they want more than ever, as doing these two things in a school setting is very terrifying for the new beginner.

Skippy - hi !

While endorsing all previous comments, I would add, have you spoken to the school(s) your children will be moving to? They may have specific areas they would like you to cover, as valletta indicated.

Good luck,

Sue :D

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)