Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Tracking Observations

Hi all, I was just wondering if anyone else has had similar advise about observations from an EY advisor. I teach the Nursery class in a school and for both us and Reception it is suggested we have a tracker for the focused observations. We have a grid with week 1, 2, 3 etc at the top and down the side it has each learning area. The grid shows that on week 1, for example, we target our observations on PSE, week 2 CLL-LCT, week 3 is CLL- R etc. This covers a term and then we repeat this for the next term. I hope this makes sense! Trouble is, I find this far too restricting in Nursery as the focused observation usually links to the focused task. I find it doesn't always fit in with what we are doing. I am already fighting with THEMES!!!!! I just wondered if anyone had any better ways of ensuring al areas of learning are observed? It's hard to stand your ground if you can't come up with a better idea. all I keep hearing is we must be consistent with the rest of the school. I would really appreciate some ideas from you guys. :o

Hi Kathy, we have a grid with all the children's names down one side and the 6 areas across the top. We just write in the date in the box when we do an area focussed observation. We did this because one of my staff just kept doing one area for all her children, and not looking at the others at all - it really helped all of us and also enables me, as Manager to have an overview of which staff members are doing them and who isn't!

Our weekly planning shows the days down the left side and the learning areas accross the top.

Each box clearly shows something gong on to cover that area each day.

One box per day is highlighted as the focus area.

Depending on what we are doing 5 of the 6 areas get covered each week, and occasionally if the activities and time lend themselves we do 6 a week.

From obs taken here we have a sheet at the back of the children's learning journeys (special books) and if an ob/ or a photo has been put in the book, we note the date and the area of learning covered on this sheet.

This sheet is one our reception teacher also does to check we have eivdence from each child covering each area.

Let me know if you want to look at the sheet she designed!

Hi Kathy. I was wondering if you only do focused observations in your focused activity times. Do you ever do any during CI activities? Or have I misunderstood your terminology?

My way of thinking is to consider the child as the focus rather than the area of learning.. one observation may have links across a number of areas. These could be recorded on a sheet kept by the key person, (or yourself) showing the child names and the key areas of learning observed. This could become quite a powerful reflective tool, not just in terms of your individual children but also in terms of your provision and the skills of your team.

We have just introduced a "focus child" system to our observations each week, all children being covered over a period of 4-6 weeks.

The names of the children being focussed upon during a particular week are displayed alongside an individual grid with the six areas...does that make sense? As post-its are added to the display during the week, it is easy to see which areas haven't been observed as much and rectify that - though as Mundia says, one observation will undoubtedly cover several areas. It is also possible for the key person to "star" a particular area for observation on the display if she knows that she lacks information about that child in that area.

Early days but it seems to be working well so far! :o

Hi Kathy. I was wondering if you only do focused observations in your focused activity times. Do you ever do any during CI activities? Or have I misunderstood your terminology?

My way of thinking is to consider the child as the focus rather than the area of learning.. one observation may have links across a number of areas. These could be recorded on a sheet kept by the key person, (or yourself) showing the child names and the key areas of learning observed. This could become quite a powerful reflective tool, not just in terms of your individual children but also in terms of your provision and the skills of your team.

This is what we do, most obs - in fact I'd say 98% are done from CI activities. As you say, a lot of this covers the whole of the 6 areas in some way or other, but we found that one member of staff was just looking at one area 'How xxxx is playing with others' in just a PSE way and not moving away from that at all. We decided that we would make a point of ensuring that each area was covered for each child, so, ok, you're looking at how xxxx is playing with others, but in a CCL way?, a PSRN way? etc

This has made her realise that she needs to focus more on different things and, in point of fact, we could probably do away with the chart now, but it's a good overview for me to see that there are obs being done, and for those staff who need a poke, a public reminder!

Scarlettangel, that sounds exactly what I'm looking for. It is tricky keeping an eye on what obs have been doine for each child.

Would you mind posting an example on here please. Be most apreciatred xxx

Scarlettangel, that sounds exactly what I'm looking for. It is tricky keeping an eye on what obs have been doine for each child.

Would you mind posting an example on here please. Be most apreciatred xxx

I created a tracker which we use on a monthly basis that not only covers the area of learning, but the aspects too, as I found that whilst a child may have 4 observations on CLL, 3 of them may be Letters and Sounds, or Shape Space and Measures has not been observed that month, so we keep an eye out for it the following month. It seems to be popular as half my LEA now have a copy.

I've uploaded a copy if it helps.

Group_Observation_Tracker.pptx

Edited by Guest

Our weekly planning shows the days down the left side and the learning areas accross the top.

Each box clearly shows something gong on to cover that area each day.

One box per day is highlighted as the focus area.

Depending on what we are doing 5 of the 6 areas get covered each week, and occasionally if the activities and time lend themselves we do 6 a week.

From obs taken here we have a sheet at the back of the children's learning journeys (special books) and if an ob/ or a photo has been put in the book, we note the date and the area of learning covered on this sheet.

This sheet is one our reception teacher also does to check we have eivdence from each child covering each area.

Let me know if you want to look at the sheet she designed!

thanks Scarlettangel, that would be great if I could have a look at that sheet!

yes we do but seem to keep to the same focus. Trouble is I find so much else is missed or we end up with tons of post-its to file and collate evidence. Oooooh I hate paperwork!!!!!

• 2 weeks later...

At my setting we have daily plans throughout the week informed through obseravtion and interest ad then we pick a reason to which we focus on the 6 areas.

This is then evaluated throughout the day and the areas highlighted. We then have what we call "sign off" sheets which are used every term to sign off areas we have been highlighted on the planning.

At the end of term we are then able to see the areas which have not been covered, so focus on these area.

For a more child focus we observe on post-it notes and put on the areas, we can then identify areas of support and areas of strength etc

Hope this helps

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)