Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Jack And The Beanstalk

Hi all we are doing Jack and the beanstalk the week after next and i want to do something different and exciting linked to the topic any ideas?????

I think the reason we haven't replied yet is that we're all trying to think of something new and different- I'm failing at the moment. There are some books with variations of the Jack and the Beanstalk story like Jim and the Beanstalk which is really good and children love it. How old are your children as there is a wonderful Big Book from Kingscourt in the Inside Stories series, but it is really more suited to Y1. I like the Fee Fi Fo Hum...Something else to remember is that the story may seem hackneyed to adults, but is new and exciting to the children, so the usual activites like growing beans, making a giant's castle role-play, retelling the story, looking at eggs etc. will be fun for them.

This is proberly not what you are looking for but we did this as a learning journey and encouraged the children to plant different types of beans e.g baked beans, jelly beans and discussed what might or might not grow this resulted in some really good conversations on baked bean storsks which led on to some good art work and how jack would climb a baked bean stork!! Hope this may have helped..

Our children enjoyed making their beanstalk. Draw and cut out leaf shapes, long plank of wood, nail leaves to plank. :D

We did an end of term production which went very well, especially the giant head :oxD

Especially enjoyed by my grandson who's surname happens to be Bean :( ( first name Ben - bless :( )

Peggy

• 1 year later...
Guest LOSINGTHEWILLTOLIVE

Hi there

We are doing Jack and the Beanstalk and I too am having problems thinking of creative ideas for Reception class - no doubt we will plant the bean in the jar, put one in a cupboard, not water one etc to see what happens. However in my current setting the children are making a pulley beanstalk so it can grow when you pull the string! Not sure how this will work but will take plenty of photos! They are also retelling the story with the help of these lovely websites:

http://www.coxhoe.durham.sch.uk/curriculum/Literacy.htm

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=_ucac6X83z8h...talk/3882373734[/url] This website has a lovely little frame by frame animation showing another perspective of the story. I hope the children can talk about why the giant is feeling sad and what Jack should do - maybe write a note to the giant or a sorry letter from Jack - CLL PSED Should Jack have stolen the items from the giant?

Music Express and 3 singing pigs are both good books for Fi fi fo fum songs and Jim and the Beanstalk links. They are going to use pipecleaners to make the Giant some new glasses. Make a healthy salad for the giant and make marble ink leaves for our maths display. Our role play is going to be the giants castle, as per the norm.

Finally, use a handful of “magic beans” (could be jelly beans, popcorn, smarties or m&m’s) and explain that Jack had a handful of magic beans. Ask the children how many beans they think he had? Ask them to draw around their own hands on a piece of paper then cut out the shape. Ask each child to pick out one handful of magic beans, then ask them to guess how many beans they think they have in their hand. After estimating ask them to count them to see if they were near to the real amount. Ask each child to have a go at estimating and then draw the correct number of beans onto the paper hand and then write the total number on the hand. Then they can eat the jelly beans/mm's/popcorn/smarties, if you are using sweets. Key questions to ask include: Who had the biggest number of beans, Who had the smallest number? Why? What can they predict from this (i.e. so if I have big hands will I get more or less than you?, and if I have smaller hands?).

Hope this helps - anyone got anything else?

Edited by LOSINGTHEWILLTOLIVE

• 3 years later...

Wow... my children went in silence when they saw this. They immediately felt pity for the giant. Just some seconds before a very sensitive girl had started to cry saying that another child had been angry with her, making it up as an excuse since other children had said she had passed over others who had been waiting in a line-up. The rest of the group said the boy had not been rude nor had put an angry face to her and explained what had happened. I used the opportunity to speak about how we might misinterpret other people's feelings and about being honest about our own reactions.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)