Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Help please with an observed group time activity

Hi all. I would be so grateful for your ideas. I have a group time observation coming up and the Head Teacher likes to see a totally interactive group time showing progress for all. I have twelve 3 to 4 year old children in my group and it lasts about 15 minutes. Does anyone have a lovely one off fail safe group time that I could please borrow? I would pay you if I could!

Many thanks in advance xx

Hi Fiona

Welcome to the forum, I see this is your first post?

I dont think there is scuh a thing as a fail safe actviity beacuse its all so personal, both for you and your children.

I would think about what you are doing at the moment with your children, and work from there. What are their interests? Is there a story you really like that you can make interactive? Would you like to do something more active eg with a parachute, or something with more of a maths focus? Inside or out? Or maybe a focussed circle time?

I think once you have a basic idea of what you would like to do, members are able to help you put some flesh on the bones.

When is this for?

Thanks so much for you reply, I think I was just panicky because Nursery is new to me and I just found out about my obs! I think an interactive story will be my best bet and I can easily take it outside too. I know colleagues have done Rosie's Walk and Going On A Bear Hunt which went down well. In our group times over the week we try and cover a number activity, a circle time, an interactive story and a phase one activity. Thanks again

I work with children of that age and our morning group time is rarely planned but always takes all sorts of interesting directions - and do even if they are planned! I always find it useful to have chalks available to illustrate something, e.g. a 'map', numbers, shapes related to the discussion. We sit on a floor we can write on, so perhaps a whiteboard? To get everyone involved I ask questions to those who don't participate spontaneously. To ensure that the learning is holistic and keep children's attention I may sing or model some movements to participate in etc. Basically, my suggestion is, apart from having some mark making resources available for you, that even if you have planned something, don't stop the children or yourself from going 'off topic' as there can be much learning to be found out there. Good luck!

Edited by Wildflowers

Hi Fiona

From what you have said, you have narrowed down to a circle time, story, maths or phase one L+s.

Which of these do you feel most confident about? If this is your first observation in nursery, then you might want to go for something you feel bettter about being observed doing. If that's a story session, then do you have a favourite story, or do the children have a particular interest that a story would link well with? Once you have made a firm decision, a forum search might help with ideas. Let us know if you need any help with making a search.

Good luck with it.

Thanks everyone, I'm going to read a Maisy book about making Gingerbread Men and then we can all make some out of play dough, add afew decorative bits and then finish with counting how many we have made using a gingerbread men number line. Hopefully 20 minutes will cover it!? X

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)