Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

IEP in year 1?

I would think an IEP would acknowledge anything over and above the "normal" that shoud be done for a child (in whatever year group) to enable them the greatest chance of meeting their potential.

Sometimes these are done with the SENCO only, other times there will be things on the IEP that outside agencies have suggested or requested.

Does that help?!! Hope so x

At my school we do AFA (achievement for all) which means that the bottom 20% of a cohort are identified ( from feb half term in reception) and IEPs are written with the class teacher and the parents and then interventions are put into place accordingly.

I would Think that IEPs for Y1 children would be very much prompted by their end of year EYFS profile scores. Obviously taking into account age, there will be children who are working within a lower age band than their years and that for me would prompt action.

I'm a reception teacher and I have to have all IEPs up and running and the process started well before the end of the year when they move up to Year 1 so that the next teacher can hit the ground running. Is that not the case with everyone?

Deb

I would think an IEP would acknowledge anything over and above the "normal" that shoud be done for a child (in whatever year group) to enable them the greatest chance of meeting their potential.

Sometimes these are done with the SENCO only, other times there will be things on the IEP that outside agencies have suggested or requested.

Does that help?!! Hope so x

exactly!

i'm nursery and have passed iep's on to teacher last week when we sat and discussed children. she'll use these as a starting point, then see what they are like when settled in.

At my school we do AFA (achievement for all) which means that the bottom 20% of a cohort are identified ( from feb half term in reception) and IEPs are written with the class teacher and the parents and then interventions are put into place accordingly.

I would Think that IEPs for Y1 children would be very much prompted by their end of year EYFS profile scores. Obviously taking into account age, there will be children who are working within a lower age band than their years and that for me would prompt action.

I'm a reception teacher and I have to have all IEPs up and running and the process started well before the end of the year when they move up to Year 1 so that the next teacher can hit the ground running. Is that not the case with everyone?

Deb

i love this idea

Deb

We do. For us each IEP runs for approximately 8 weeks so we do a formal review with children and parents 4 times a year (obviously we review them informally as we go along). The last IEP of the year 'finishes' early July and we do our best to complete the review with parents and both the current and next teacher. Not always possible but it helps to ensure continuity of provision in September. We were finding that before we did this it took several weeks before children were settled enough with their new teacher and vice versa for people to begin writing IEPs.

This year I don't have any reception children who already have an IEP but in the transition meeting I had with the other Y1 teacher I flagged up those who were on my 'concern' list. Our SENCO keeps a concern list for the whole school. Generally children who are achieving at the lower end of the range for that class or who aren't making expected progress or who just have something a little 'odd' about them!

I have had children in reception before who do have an IEP. Sometimes those with an already identified specific need (often language), or those who have come from a previous setting with identified needs. Others are those who simply aren't 'getting' stuff (for want of a better description) even allowing for differences in age and starting point. It often seems to go hand in hand with memory recall problems. Such as the child who could recognise 1 and 2 after a tightly focused session but by the time they'd crossed the classroom didn't have a clue what they'd just been doing.

We also have a concern list but senco said need to be two years behind before they trigger an IEP and put on SEN register.

Is this standard practice in schools? As a parent I'd be very concerned that my child would wait to be that far behind developmentally before any formal support was put in place. I know that the teaching staff would be supporting the child during that time, but still. Two years seems like an awfully big gap to bridge. :(

• Like 1

i guess my issue with this too is that it feels that everyone is only recording issues with academics. On our early action sheets we record anything ...hearing/balance/toileting/reaction to peers etc etc.....not just where they are in the phonics scheme!

If you google this question there is lots of advice on LEA websites or on TES if you are a member.

(of course for preschool we couldn't wait till they were 2 years behind or they would be at school with all their issues by then!!!)

i guess my issue with this too is that it feels that everyone is only recording issues with academics. On our early action sheets we record anything ...hearing/balance/toileting/reaction to peers etc etc.....not just where they are in the phonics scheme!

If you google this question there is lots of advice on LEA websites or on TES if you are a member.

(of course for preschool we couldn't wait till they were 2 years behind or they would be at school with all their issues by then!!!)

Finleysmaid - sorry if it came across that way. I certainly flag up on my concerns lists children with balance, co-ordination, social and behavioural concerns too. The difficulty I often have is joining some of those dots up into something specific. Luckily we have a fantastic SENCO who I can just say "I think this is a bit odd" too and she asks all the right kind of follow up questions!

Maz - the criteria we seem to use for identifying SEN that mean a child gets added to the SEN register seem to have changed so many times I'm no longer sure what they are! :huh: I'm hoping to do some work shadowing aforementioned brilliant SENCO next year so may get my head round this a little more then!

I'm a SENCo, and 2 years behind is not my criteria for being put onto the SEN register. We use progress rates, and put things into place at the first sign of lack of progress (reviewed half termly), sometimes a change in practise or a short intervention can make all the difference, sometimes its a plateau for a child. We have termly Pupil progress meetings and at these meetings if children are consistenly identfied as not making progress they may be identified as having SEN. A child with SEN must have provision that is additional to and different from the provision made for the rest of the class. It is a fine line between identifying a lower attainer and a child with SEN. As teachers we recognise that putting them on the SEN register won't actually do anything - at the end of the day they (the teacher) have to work hard to boost progress and attainment. Children with SEN should still make the expected progress (or better) they just may attain at a lower level.

We set IEP targets at the beginning of July and these run to near the end of term 1, the current teacher knows the child best and knows what they need, how they learn etc. All staff have specfic conversations at this time of year about their next class and childrens needs etc.

This year I don't have any children on the SEN register in my class (Reception), but I do have a child who needs careful consideration to manage his behaviour (at this time it is not special needs, I feel he simply needs to mature a little and he has made excellent progress), helping him to manage his behaviour is considered quality first teaching, it is a quick alteration in the way we ask questions of him, but it does not require an IEP.

• Like 1

at my school we too have half termly meetings with the head and senco and talk through every child and how they are progressing and then off the back of that meeting identify any children who need a boost and extra support- all well and good have no problems with that as things are picked up quickly and acted upon. I personally have a bit of a problem with how things are currently of having to identify the bottom 20% with AFA and then having to put those children on the SEN register usually by feb half term in reception. Having to have those conversations with parents is tough and i really struggle with the fact that those children are usually my summer born children which seems infinitely unfair there seems to be no allowance for this.

deb

'Achievement for all' it's the new thing coming in which my school has got in on early and has been trailing for the last year it's basically support for special needs but we automatically identify the bottom 20% in each class and target them with IEPs and interventions. The children involved wouldn't necessarily have been targeted in the past ( apart from differentiation) and wouldn't have been considered 'special needs' but what it does do is identify and get things in place early to prevent those gaps widening. It's all done by the class teacher with the parents but the meetings with parents have a particular style and are called 'structured conversations' which involved several training sessions.

Deb

I don't understand why these children in the 'bottom 20%', as the powers that be put it, should be classed as SEN. In my school these children would be targeted for support, on the whole school school provision map but that does not mean they have special needs, just identified needs at that moment in time. Ideas like this will begin to raise the national level of SEN and it would be disproportionate to the real picture.

Totally agree with you and that's where I have the problem. I am perfectly happy to discuss children's needs with parents and what we are putting into place to support them but then am supposed to give them a leaflet with the wording 'special needs' on the front and taking about the special needs register.

Deb

Guest LornaW

I have a problem with the whole SEN 'thing'!

There will always be a bottom 20% and a top 20% and some may have extra needs and some not and some may be gifted and some not!

As a teacher I see my role as moving children on, developing them socially and emotionally as well as academically whether they a SEN or not! My only exception are those children with severe and profound difficulties who require a statement of educational need!

Of course this government are not of the same train of thought but governments come and go and each child only gets one chance so I must do my very best for each individual I. The time they are with me!

Rant over!!!!!

LornaW

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)